Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
General Discussion / a humble inquiry regarding 1.6
« Last post by Ykonoclast on June 17, 2021, 10:44:37 am »
Hi all,

since discovering Scribus a few years ago, this project has rapidly become one of my favourite software. I am an amateur RPG writer and managing large, complex documents with LibreOffice had become a serious burden : Scribus has markedly improved my quality of life in that respect.

My use case is a bit specific : I seldom write new documents but I often edit old ones. We're talking of important revisions several times a year on 100+ pages documents with complex layouts and pictures (you can imagine how switching from LibreOffice made me gain a lot of time). Hence, I am very reluctant to switch to the the 1.5.x branch as that would render my files incompatible with the 1.4.9 version I am using (built from svn sources). The worst case scenario would be to make some important edits over a few months and then run into a problem necessitating a rollback to 1.4.9 using an old file, therefore losing all the work done after the switch.
Last year, I briefly experimented the 1.5.5 but quickly ran into several problems, nothing major (mainly interface) but enough to discourage a massive switch of all my important files. I therefore took the decision to wait for the release of 1.6 to migrate : using the occasion to do major rewrites taking advantage of all the new features in one fell swoop (and holding major changes until that time). But time is passing by and I have no visibility on the release date.

And that's the reason I would like to ask about the roadmap of the project. Not in a childish « are we there yet » way : I am perfectly aware that it is the nature of open-source, volunteer-based projects to have « when it's done » style release dates. But I think the team might have a general idea of where they're headed and a vague answer such as « hard to tell but we're targetting a release of 1.6 next year » or « don't expect 1.6 before 2023-2024 » would be greatly appreciated.

I mean, typing « Scribus 1.6 release date » in google yields a 2017 post on this forum asking for a guesstimate, it would be great to have an update 4 years later.

Thanks to anyone with a modicum of information.
Layout Issues / Re: Resize multiple text frames simultaneously
« Last post by RobSay on June 16, 2021, 08:29:19 pm »
I'm not aware of any new solutions to this and I use scripter to achieve a similar sort of effect (standard width image frames over 250 pages)

For a straight forward resize of all frames within the whole document - you can run this in the scripter console:
Code: [Select]
# select all the items in the document - you can be much cleverer than this with page ranges etc
allItems = getAllObjects()
# loop through all the objects
for item in allItems :
  # look for text frames only - you can be cleverer here in lots of ways and filter by type, name, property .. whatever
  if (getObjectType(item) == 'TextFrame'):
    # set the frame dimensions (you can calculate the desired width and height etc)
    sizeObject(200,30, item)
    # you could also move the text frame to a specific point on the page (might need to check the current page)
    # moveObjectAbs(x,y,item)
Scripts and Plugins / pasteObject Function
« Last post by meld on June 16, 2021, 07:01:29 pm »
Scribus 1.5.7  25Apr2021 Build ID: C--T-F-C1.16.0-64bit
I tried to write a copy and paste script. I get an error pasteObject accepts no arguments (1 given). The wiki listing all the script functions shows pasteObject to use an argument. The sample script for copy and paste shows the use of an argument which is the name of the frame used. I tried removing the argument, and it just hangs Scribus requiring a forced shutdown. I'm puzzled perhaps someone can help or enlighten me. Thanks!
Raster and Vector Graphics / Direct image import script does not work ?.
« Last post by jackyjoy123 on June 16, 2021, 05:58:53 pm »
Hello,

on my Windows XP and 7 systems the direct image import script does not work. When I execute the script nothing happens. I.e I have no possibility to import a file from a display dialog.

thanks
jackyjoy
Layout Issues / Re: Resize multiple text frames simultaneously
« Last post by Ewac on June 16, 2021, 07:30:49 am »
Has there been a solution to this issue in the past years? I'm in the same situation and would really appreciate a way to rezise multiple frames together....
General Discussion / Re: How define styles for TEXT FRAME?
« Last post by utnik on June 16, 2021, 01:01:11 am »
hi nermander

Isn't this what the Item tools in the Preferences/Document setup is for?

(Define a style as default that is.)

the example shows three different text frames. how would you define them in 'document setup'?

utnik
General Discussion / Re: How define styles for TEXT FRAME?
« Last post by Nermander on June 15, 2021, 10:35:15 pm »
Isn't this what the Item tools in the Preferences/Document setup is for?

(Define a style as default that is.)
Scribus forums / Re: Story Editor malfunction on Chromebook
« Last post by aldobranti on June 15, 2021, 07:35:34 pm »
the appimage is logging a pile of these

GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 17:27:43.530: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

and some quicktime errors

qt.glx: qglx_findConfig: Failed to finding matching FBConfig for QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize -1, redBufferSize 1, greenBufferSize 1, blueBufferSize 1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize -1, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SingleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)
No XVisualInfo for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize -1, redBufferSize 1, greenBufferSize 1, blueBufferSize 1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize -1, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SingleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile)
Falling back to using screens root_visual.

Scribus forums / Story Editor malfunction on Chromebook
« Last post by aldobranti on June 15, 2021, 04:25:26 pm »
I have been running Scribus 1.4.8 and 1.5.6 under Debian Linux in a Chromebox
After a few minutes work in text frames, I go into a story editor which is completely unresponsive. My only action must be to quit the text frame, quit the application and go back in for a further few precious key strokes
This problem occurred first in S148 and I found no help in the web so I tried with the S156 appimage from the downlaod site.
With S148 I was using the debian/buster repos
the chromebox tracks Google Chrome OS and is currently at v 91.0.44

I have a professional job to get out of this which I am trying to do completely open source -- is any one out there successfully running scribus on a chrome os environment ? what debug information can I gather ?

General Discussion / Re: render latex frames but selectable
« Last post by DIYPlanner on June 15, 2021, 01:44:58 pm »
hi,Royer11
Currently it's not possible to make text from render frame selectable.However you could export pdf from Scribus document contains render frame that all text in render frame being editable.The function could be enabled by checking "Embed PDF & EPS files" checkbox while you are in the "Save As PDF" dialogue.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10