Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Scripts and Plugins / Re: Text flowing around images
« Last post by RobSay on May 18, 2021, 05:38:27 pm »
I'm not quite sure of the manual process you are describing - but editing the shape directly is something I've avoided.

To add a visual separation between text flowing around an embedded frame (image or anything else) I have used two approaches:
  • Create an empty frame that is slightly larger than the embedded frame, align centre, group the two objects, setting the flow on the group (uggh)
  • Add a border to the image frame, set the colour to white .. or whatever works with your background, limited width but really easy and amenable to scripting!

#1 is a hack but can do anything .. and can just about be scripted if you need it to be repeatable / automated
#2 is the easiest both in user terms and scripting - but is limited to same width on all sides and also limited in width. Add your image, select the frame and run this (update the name to match your frame):
Code: [Select]
# text flow mode 2 is bounding box
setTextFlowMode("nameOfFrame", 2)
# add a line to your frame (shape, image text .. whatever)
# "White" needs to be in your colour palette
setLineWidth(6, "nameOfFrame")
setLineColor("White", "nameOfFrame")

cheers

Rob
Beginner Talk / Re: How to the remove marges when printing ?.
« Last post by Nermander on May 18, 2021, 05:36:07 pm »
Don't print from Scribus.

Export to PDF and print from PDF viewer.
PDF Generation / Re: 32 page leaflet - 875 MB pdf output
« Last post by RobSay on May 18, 2021, 05:06:59 pm »
Hi - the sizes you are quoting seem to be extremely large.

32 pages ... 875MB ... that's averaging >25MB per page.

What is your content made up of?

For reference - I have a 376 page scribus doc including images, vectors, multi-frame text in multiple layers. The whole scribus file is <10MB (+ external images) and the generated PDF is ~190MB with embedded ~1200 eps images.

Now just to make it interesting - my acrobat (not pro) just hangs when opening my 190MB file - which is not really surprising. If I open it in Chrome the embedded PDF viewer handles it fine - including the facing pages layout - but with just a bit of a delay on rendering each page. To open in your browser, right click on file, open in Chrome ... or copy file location and paste into browser bar. FWIW my print shop says the PDFs are fine ..

Beginner Talk / How to the remove marges when printing ?.
« Last post by alexsunny123 on May 18, 2021, 02:13:10 pm »
Hello,

I'm a beginner, and I have problems for printing.

I first use A4 portrait pages and try to print 2 pages on A4 landscape (as we can do with OpenOffice), but the print page is always in A4 portrait, the print is bad.

So I decide to change the page format to A4 landscape, and reduce the first content (fonts, ...) to choose the page : A4 (pages en regard)

But, when I print, I have big marges on the top, the left, and the right, and all the pages which seem correct in the page are wrong on paper.

What do I miss ?

thanks
alexsunny
Layout Issues / Re: Pagination in OS-X 10.13, Scribus crashing "Signal-6"
« Last post by utnik on May 18, 2021, 01:07:09 pm »
hi john
I did notice one thing in 1.5.7 …

…The Properties dialog showed only the location and size of the text frame, but further dialog boxes underneath that were not the full menu but were limited to about four choices: line, color, and some others, but "text" was not one of them.

yes, in more recent scribus versions there are two separate palettes for object properties (f2) and content properties (f3).
Back to setting automatic text frames in the initial New Document window, I found that any other text or image frames later setup inside the margin perimeter on Master Pages when Applied to the document would not select and the only text frame available was the auto/margin frame no matter where or how precisely I clicked on one of the nested text frames.

the content of the master pages is not editable outside of the master page!
I must be still misunderstanding Master Pages.  My conception of them is that repeated pages within a document that repeat many features, in my case a variety of text or image frame sizes and placements, are best constructed or Converted to a Master Page and then that Master Page can be Applied wherever needed without reconstructing that page from scratch.

take a look at this!
for your different text or image frames you might use the scrapbook or just some guides on your master pages as an aid to place your content exactly where you need it…

utnik
Layout Issues / Re: Pagination in OS-X 10.13, Scribus crashing "Signal-6"
« Last post by JohnJR on May 18, 2021, 12:36:46 am »
Hi Utnik,

Thanks for getting back.  First of all I was able to download 1.5.7 easily, which is something I couldn't do with 1.5.6 earlier, and my documents seemed to open the same there.  I did notice one thing in 1.5.7 with text frames, either in the Master Pages or in the documents.  The Properties dialog showed only the location and size of the text frame, but further dialog boxes underneath that were not the full menu but were limited to about four choices: line, color, and some others, but "text" was not one of them.  In other words, I had no option to choose font, point size, or justification.  With the 1.5.2 I still have that in Properties, it seems missing in the newer one.

Back to setting automatic text frames in the initial New Document window, I found that any other text or image frames later setup inside the margin perimeter on Master Pages when Applied to the document would not select and the only text frame available was the auto/margin frame no matter where or how precisely I clicked on one of the nested text frames.

I must be still misunderstanding Master Pages.  My conception of them is that repeated pages within a document that repeat many features, in my case a variety of text or image frame sizes and placements, are best constructed or Converted to a Master Page and then that Master Page can be Applied wherever needed without reconstructing that page from scratch.  But if the Master Page text frames won't activate when applied in the document (mute black lines) in the document and I need to rebuild them therein, what is the function of Master Pages?

Thanks,

PDF Generation / 32 page leaflet - 875 MB pdf output
« Last post by diagonal50 on May 17, 2021, 03:47:56 pm »
Hello!
I tried to find some solutions from existing threads, but didn't find, so...

I have 85 MB .sla file with 32 A4 pages. There is NO images in pages.
It has been merged from 16 2-page spreads. Each spread is 5 -6 MB, so total scribus file size is ok.

When i generate pdf (for printing) from a single spread file, result is about same size pdf (actually a bit smaller).
When i merge second spread to the file (total 4 pages), generated pdf is 17 MB.
When i merge 2 more spreads to the file (total 8 pages), generated pdf exeeds 66 MB

When all the spreads (32 pages) are merged, it results huge 875 MB pdf file. It's quite impossible to handle it - my acrobat pro doesn't open the file or opening takes too long time.

I managed to load the 850 MB file to Adobe's pdf converter page and it resulted a 2,7 MB file with best quality option.

We are doing couple more of this kind of leaflets. Any suggestions how to reduce pdf size?

I managed to reduce a bit the resulted pdf with settings advised: from 875 MB to 849 MB, but the main proble still exists.

Jukka
Scripts and Plugins / Text flowing around images
« Last post by silvain on May 16, 2021, 07:34:22 pm »
Does anyone know a script which would simplify setting text flowing around images with a standard margin?
The way I do it involves no less than 6 different selections in 2 different interfaces.
It would be so much better to be able to do it with a single script.
    1. Menu Shape
        a) Click on Modify
    2. Interface of contour line modification
        a) Check «Modify the shape»
        b) Choose value for margin space (like 3 mm or 5 mm)
        c) Click on the appropriate arrow to enlarge the shape
        d) Click ok to confirm
    3. Back to the previous intervace (Menu shape)
        a) Click on the icon (4th one) «Flow text around contour line»

Margin value is preserved during session, otherwise it is reinitialised to its default value of 10 mm.
General Discussion / Re: Imported pdf with editable text
« Last post by mnawij on May 16, 2021, 04:06:25 am »
Do not use the import option, just use the File->Open. It could be the pdf created by Latex is a problem also. Unless I have the pdf file I cannot really help much more.

Cheers!

mnawij
General Discussion / Re: Imported pdf with editable text
« Last post by medmedin2014 on May 15, 2021, 05:52:45 pm »
Thanks @mnawij I was used to 1.5.6 so I clicked fast on ok when importing pdf without noticing the added option in the dialog. I needed to modify a small part in a pdf produced by latex but it doesn't open the file with the new import option and shows message "Scribus crashes due to the following exception : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION", only vector import is working.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10