Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
I understand where the problem lies:

I have always used the Wacom tablet, I do a lot of graphics and photo editing and I am so used to it that I use it for everything, I have always closed the mouse in my drawer, I never use it.

I do not do it long, took, inserted and 'miracle' Scribus is back to work normally.
The strange thing is that with the other versions of Scribus I have never had any kind of problem, evidently the latest versions do not adequately support the tablet.

Well, I'm glad I solved it, I was already looking around to see how to replace Scribus, which is anything but simple, it means that when I need it I will use the mouse.

Thanks to those who have read and answered me, I also put SOLVED in the title for others who may have the same problem as me.

Thanks a lot to everyone... :D

Alfred
General Discussion / Re: Text / Image Frames and Shapes look 'liquid'.
« Last post by Alfred on Today at 11:20:30 am »
@RodneyLee and @mnawij

Thanks for your interest and for the answers,
you too with Mint 20.1 Cinnamon?

I have a desktop pc with 8GB of RAM and I don't have any other malfunctions with other software;
I work a lot with Inkscape and Gimp, even when I keep them open at the same time with Firefox I have never encountered any slowdowns or malfunctions.

Only with Scribus it happens to me with or without a grid, I tried to uninstall and reinstall but, nothing changes.
Do you think 8GB of ram is few? Even to make a single text frame?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it very much ...

Alfred
« Last post by mnawij on Today at 05:16:36 am »
I also just tested on Mint 20.1 and had no problems also. That problem looks to be ram or video card problem to me.

Cheers!

mnawij
Scripts and Plugins / Re: help with fitting text to width
« Last post by RobSay on May 12, 2021, 05:11:33 pm »
In terms of the actual mechanics of (1) & (2) I think I understand what you're trying to do ... I'm thinking of those bill posters for concerts with all of the artists on different lines but all expanded to the same width. I really can't think of a situation where you'd apply it to actual text blocks... the human eye is *very* good at spotting inconsistencies in text layouts and it is really distracting for the reader.

For me this is one of those situations where just because you can (in Scribus) doesn't meant you should .. having said that:

(1) It would be possible to write a script that:
  • took a text frame and chopped the text into blocks based on carriage return
  • put each line in it's own frame
  • adjusted the font size, glyph width and/or kerning to achieve max width (by checking for overflow in the frame)
That would be a lot of work for something not very pretty and not very easy to edit. I think you'd also be reliant on the behaviour of the font for a strict width alignment between the frames. I don't think you could use a justified paragraph in a single frame with line break characters as I've not been able to manipulate that special non-paragraph line break in python script ..

(2) It would be possible to modify the above script to individually select and adjust the glyph width for specific (wide) characters
That would be even more work and spectacularly unpretty in a lot of cases ..

In both cases the script would essentially be automating the 'try this change and see' approach to approximate a real 'fill to width' behaviour. If I wanted the 'character fill to width' you've described - I'd be doing that in a graphics tool (both gimp and inkscape could do this) not a frame based tool - and then importing the graphic if I needed it to live with other (frame based) text content.
« Last post by RodneyLee on May 12, 2021, 03:42:53 pm »
I just tested here, Mint 20.xx no problem what so ever, try turning off your grid, is your System ram low?
« Last post by Alfred on May 12, 2021, 09:27:54 am »
I am attaching a short video of the problem.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoGXKrerEgqrgRqIIqAmGZjThqfM?e=LU7tyS
General Discussion / Text / Image Frames and Shapes look 'liquid'.
« Last post by Alfred on May 11, 2021, 07:24:26 pm »
Hello everyone,

I work with Scribus 1.5.7 on Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon;

unfortunately I have this type of inconvenience:  :(
when I create a text frame the frame does not follow the mouse cursor as it should be, it does so with a lot of delay and this involves a considerable waste of time and precision;
even if I want to make a change to the width / height the movements take place with a considerable delay so as to make the frame seem 'liquid'.
Of course, this also happens with the Picture Frame and with the various shapes.

If I can't fix it I'll have to give up using Scribus, if anyone has a tip to solve it's welcome ... Thank you very much... :)
General Discussion / Re: Imported pdf with editable text
« Last post by mnawij on May 11, 2021, 01:04:50 am »
Hi medmedin2014,

File -> Open -> choose file.pdf (your file)
In the dialog there is an option to choose open text as graphic or as text. It works, but there will be text reflow and other problems if you do not have the exact font installed on your computer. I have not tried it with pdf pages without images, just text. It worked, I was able to copy/paste the type copy that I needed.

Cheers!

mnawij
General Discussion / Imported pdf with editable text
« Last post by medmedin2014 on May 10, 2021, 03:19:23 am »
I read in 1.5.7 release note that editing text directly on imported pdf is possible but after trying it it doesn't work at all, is there any settings that should enabled to use this function ?
Raster and Vector Graphics / Re: Newbeginner guide?
« Last post by toyotadesigner on May 09, 2021, 09:55:25 pm »
You can do some vector graphics in Scribus, but basically it is not made for it. Scribus is a publishing software, comparable to InDesign oder Affinity Publisher or Quark Express. The strength of Scribus is to produce and pre-press books, flyers, posters, magazines, newspapers, etc.

If you want to work with vector graphics and have a Windows machine, you might consider Xara or Inkscape or Gimp, or Illustrator or Affinity Designer.

If you just want to import a graphic into Scribus and have the text flow around it, select the graphic, go to -> Properties -> Shape -> Select any flow scheme next to »Text Flow« you want to use
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
palmate