Recent posts

Beginner Talk / Re: Why use DPI (not ppi)? (im...
Last post by yichuang驿窗 - June 20, 2024, 04:36:29 PM
I think it should be PPI, not DPI.

First look at the ppi.
The sole purpose of ppi is to determine the physical print size of a pixel. Assuming an image is 600x900 pixels, what is the size of that image when printed or printed to paper?

This is when ppi is used. if the resolution of an image is 300 ppi, that means 300 pixels spread over the length of an inch, then the physical print size of each pixel is 1/300 of an inch = 0.003 inches. a 600*900 pixel image with a resolution of 300 ppi translates to a print size of 0.003x600*0.003x900. That ends up being 2x3 inches.

No dpi is used in this process, only ppi.

Look at dpi.
dpi initially describes the performance of the printer, said the printer in the length of an inch of paper can print how many dots.

Let's say the resolution of a printer is 300 dpi, which means that this printer can print 300 dots on a length of one inch of paper.

Or, to describe a scanner, it means that the scanner can read information about how many dots on one inch from the paper. There is no ppi involved here, only dpi.

Now we have a look at Scribus.

In Scribus we need a ppi to tell printer how much the physical print size of the image pixel is. For this reason, we need only ppi, not dpi.

-------
DPI is for printer, like laser heads for laser printers, or printheads for inkjet printers. The dpi only reflects the level of accuracy of the printer itself and has nothing to do with the image.
Last post by Aleks100 - June 20, 2024, 01:46:51 PM
DPI, for sure. Google dpi vs ppi
Last post by yichuang驿窗 - June 20, 2024, 12:39:24 PM
I also think the correct one should be ppi. but I see that both Content Properties and the Scribus wiki are dpi, so that creates confusion.
Last post by Nermander - June 20, 2024, 11:03:42 AM
PPI would be the correct term, but for digital media the PPI equals the DPI. I am not aware of any digital format where a pixel is made up of several dots.
Beginner Talk / Why use DPI (not ppi)? (image ...
Last post by yichuang驿窗 - June 20, 2024, 08:00:43 AM
The location labeled on the attached screenshot uses the DPI.
I looked at the wiki, and the WIKI also mentions that it should be DPI.
Why use DPI instead of PPI?

The screencapture is the Content Properties of image frame.
Linux / Re: Scribus 1.6.2 was not able...
Last post by licheng - June 20, 2024, 06:39:15 AM
I recompile Python 3.12.4 myself with the "-fPIC" option and install it on Debian 12, then recompile Scribus 1.16.2 and it works fine.

jghali, thanks for the tip, I really appreciate it.
PDF Generation / Re: Signal #11 error on PDF ex...
Last post by buzdam - June 19, 2024, 06:44:04 AM
I'm also facing a similar problem. Let me know if you have fixed this error.
PDF Generation / Re: Pages have a white line
Last post by pickaxen - June 19, 2024, 06:35:36 AM
Thanks for your solutions! I have fixed it.
Last post by licheng - June 19, 2024, 04:44:05 AM
Thanks a.l.e and jghali, you're right.

I have a self compiled version of Python (3.12.3), everything works as expected when I remove it.

I'm a long time Scribus user, I use it to make photo books, postcards, posters and zines. I'm used to compiling Scribus myself just to make sure I can use Scribus no matter what OS I have.

Thank you for your great help.
Last post by jghali - June 18, 2024, 03:17:08 PM
I installed a Debian 12 virtual machines yesterday and managed to build Scribus 1.6.2 on it successfully. But Debian 12 comes with Python 11, not 12, so I also suspect a custom Python, presumably built without -fPIC option.