Recent posts

Text and Typography / Re: Aligning Numbered Lists Ve...
Last post by sersha - Today at 06:53:19 PM
For me, it seems like the case of Hanging Indents. Here is a very short video on the topic (not mine :):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqXpLmMtTM0
Hope it helps!
S.
Text and Typography / Aligning Numbered Lists Vertic...
Last post by r_tgur - Today at 04:06:41 PM
Hello,

I've just started using Scribus and, after watching many tutorials online, I managed to create a document with almost all of the features I needed. However, I am having trouble with a numbered list. I have a list of 35 items that need to be numbered, but I need the text to be aligned vertically, like this:

https://postimg.cc/R3YpgXrH

I can achieve this alignment if I use a bulleted list, but not with a numbered list.

I've tried to do it manually by setting tab stops when editing paragraph styles -> properties -> tabulators and indentation (setting the 1st line indent to -4mm and the intent for the paragraph to 5,5 mm), but it all goes wrong when the list goes from number 9 to number 10:

https://postimg.cc/w3w22whT

Is there a way to solve this?
I came across some topics here in the forum that might help, but since the images had been removed, I couldn't understand the possible solutions.

PS: It's the first time I'm posting something here. I tried to attach 2 images, but I don't know if I did it properly. I hope you can see them.
Beginner Talk / Re: Why use DPI (not ppi)? (im...
Last post by Nermander - Today at 03:55:08 PM
It depends on what you are printing on.

Since the digital image has pixels, and for print you define the size (whether in mm, cm, inch) you get a PPI.

The DPI and LPI values are only relevant for the printing technique, and not for how big the image becomes in the print.

A 300x300 pixels image "scaled" to 300 PPI becomes 1x1 inches. No matter how many DPI or LPI the printer has.
Beginner Talk / Re: Default text size
Last post by Nermander - Today at 03:50:42 PM
Maybe the text frames have a default style with 12 pt size?
Beginner Talk / Re: Recurring text to many pag...
Last post by finnishcoffee - Today at 10:50:06 AM
Quote from: joseb on June 03, 2024, 09:39:08 AMDon't combine 'text frames' with 'table cells'. To start with, it is best to work only with 'text frames'.

Finally, remember that to insert a mark / variable text, you need to be inside the text frame with the blinking cursor ready to type...

Even being within the textframe with blinking cursor, the Insert Mark options are all greyed out.
Doesnt matter if there is text or not, wether its highlighted or not, or if I use right klicking or "Insert" menu from the top.
Makes me wonder if there is a setting of sorts in scribus itself that is not on.
Beginner Talk / Re: Recurring text to many pag...
Last post by finnishcoffee - Today at 10:30:50 AM
Late reply... I been preoccupied trying to juggle 2 jobs...

Its going to be 30-40 pages.

Using master pages now. 3 of them to be precise.

Front Page /cover
Index/editors column/copyrights
Articles

A fourth one may be needed for another customer. Time will tell.
Beginner Talk / Default text size
Last post by Shadok - Today at 06:27:14 AM
Hi,

I try to modify the default text size. Going to File > Preferences > item tools > text > Size and changing the default size from 12 pt to 9 pt.

But each time I open a new text frame, the default size stay at 12 pt.

What did I do wrong ?

Thanks
Beginner Talk / Re: Why use DPI (not ppi)? (im...
Last post by Aleks100 - June 23, 2024, 06:30:44 PM
For practical reasons IMHO in printing it is better to look at LPI value as analogue to PPI on screen.
Nice & short explanation is here:
https://apmbags.com/what-difference-between-dpi-ppi-and-lpi
PDF Generation / Re: Inconsistent PDF output fo...
Last post by Nermander - June 23, 2024, 05:10:16 PM
Quote from: eeedelli on June 23, 2024, 03:22:01 PMAlso - how is it possible that other programs that also output to pdf for print purposes manage to do it in such a way that the 'read out loud' option in Adobe Acrobat still works?  If they can do it, it does demonstrate that such things must be possible!

The put the text in PDF "stories" (I think it's called).

Essentially, they place the cursor and then output a full line of text.

Scribus on the other hand may place the glyphs individually. It places the cursor, places one glyph, then places the cursor again, places next glyph. This gives a lot higher precision when placing the glyphs, which is good for print. For print it does not even matter in which order the glyphs are placed, becuase you just see the end result, not how it was "built". Essentially Scribus could first place all a:s, then all b:s etc. You would not see any difference in the end result when printed.
PDF Generation / Re: Inconsistent PDF output fo...
Last post by eeedelli - June 23, 2024, 03:22:01 PM
Quote from: eeedelli on June 23, 2024, 02:08:00 PMIf not, it reduces the usefulness of Scribus in comparison with other products which produce output not only for print but also for devices.

Also - how is it possible that other programs that also output to pdf for print purposes manage to do it in such a way that the 'read out loud' option in Adobe Acrobat still works?  If they can do it, it does demonstrate that such things must be possible!

The other point here is that this seems to be a completely random problem - some of the identical sentences in two slightly different versions created from the same original file (as demonstrated in the example files) produce totally different results. That does rather suggest that this is unintentional (or, at least, not specifically considered), which also suggests that something rather odd is happening.  Surely computing output should be consistent and should never produce random results? That would seem very strange.