Recent posts

Beginner Talk / Re: adding pdf's or images to ...
Last post by John - March 23, 2024, 10:50:48 PM
One more...
Last post by John - March 23, 2024, 10:48:54 PM
more images...
Last post by John - March 23, 2024, 10:47:03 PM
I discovered some patterns that might be useful to you:

Saving document, closing & re-opening makes typing speed normal again.
BUT...
Adding another image slows typing again...
Adding new page slows typing again...until saving document, closing & re-opening.

I also tried embedding the images but it did not seem to make any difference.

Thank you again for looking into this.
(Unless I need to troubleshoot I am using the MacBook Pro 8G RAM, and Scribus 1.6.1)

Attached should be the one .sla file and 3 images.
Last post by AdmFubar - March 23, 2024, 07:18:16 PM
time to post an example. attach a .sla so we can inspect it
Last post by John - March 23, 2024, 02:08:34 PM
2016 MacBook Pro 8G of RAM
Mac Studio 128G of RAM

The original file size of the images was aprox. 10MB
I tested again on the MacBook with a reduced size of aprox 850KB, keeping resolution at 350pi with same result of delayed typing.

I also made sure other apps were not running.

Thank you for your time.
General Discussion / Re: [TOC] get an attribute dir...
Last post by a.l.e - March 23, 2024, 10:18:46 AM
hi craig

hard to say something...

your announcement was "Scribus now has a style based TOC"...
and since scribus already had a TOC that the team seemed to like, seeing a style based TOC that basically replicates the old one (with almost all the drawbacks mirrored) gave me bad vibes.

sorry, if i misunderstood your goals.

it might be useful if, the next time, you could also announce the work you still plan to do.

i made a second quick test this morning and, while i see some improvements (the massive duplication is gone):

• the UI is... well... a polite german would call it "gewöhnungsbedürftig" (i guess it can be translated with "there is room for improvement")
  • the order of the titles in the toc is not what most users will probably expect.
  • chained frames are not correctly processed.
  • frame and column breaks really need to be stripped from the toc entries (to be honest, the way those breaks work should be fixed instead; but that's probably not going to happen (soon)).
  • number placement must probably be a per level setting (not because one would want to place left or right on each level, but because one might want to exclude the number from some levels! and a wild guess: left placement might be necessary for RTL text)
  • "Default Paragraph Style" is now missing from the list of document styles for the TOC.
  • the styles in the "Heading styles" are alphabetically sorted (they should be at least in insert order; but, at the end of the day, it should be possible to sort them manually; and the toc styles should follow; sane people will call their styles h1, h2, ... but you can't assume that!)
  • it should be possible to add multiple times the same TOC style (and the "Paragraph Style" at the top should be disabled when the TOC is style based)
  • in the styles list, the "Delete" button does not work correctly (it stay disabled when all styles have been removed)

no idea which of those points are already clear to you and where the feedback is useful.

i attach another simple test file and a screenshot of the UI (since most people won't be able to try this out...)
Last post by Nermander - March 23, 2024, 08:19:49 AM
How much RAM do you have?
Beginner Talk / adding pdf's or images to Scri...
Last post by John - March 23, 2024, 04:33:00 AM
Adding pdfs or images to document slows down typing in text frame considerably.
Troubleshooted versions 1.6.1 and 17x. Tried using MacOS 2016 and Mac Studio 2024.
Resolution set to 'Normal'
Adding just 2 images to MacOS 2016 slows it down.
Adding 9 images to Mac Studio slows typing down. i.e. I type and there is a delay for the letter to appear on the screen.

Any suggestions.
I am very new to Scribus.
General Discussion / Re: [TOC] get an attribute dir...
Last post by MrB - March 22, 2024, 10:45:14 PM
A lot of those things were already in the works.
I already committed a fix for the duplicate lines a couple of days ago
I've now added styles per heading.
I've never seen a TOC with different page number placement (ie start or end)
- Removed the [Default...] style
- rearranged doc setup ui
- Added remove line breaks code but not enabled yet.. it means joining separate paragraphs.. still to do.
- Removed the 1 from the first TOC naming
Scripts and Plugins / Re: problem with execution off...
Last post by utnik - March 22, 2024, 12:25:47 PM
hi loudo

unfortunately i can't help here.
i hope craig bradney will find a way to solve the tkinter-macOs-problem in the near future...

utnik