Creating a worksheet

Previous topic - Next topic

nightshift

I'm new to scribus (and DTP in general, although I did work a little with MS Publisher years ago), and still working through the getting started guide. The project I have in mind is a how-to ebook that will include - among other things - a couple of worksheets. Think something resembling a fill in the blank test where you have:

A. Some instructions: ____________
B. Some other instructions: ______
    Etc
(Where the line is where you place the result of the instructions)

Is there any guidance on how to lay this kind of thing out?

RodneyLee

Imagination and/or looking at other workbook layouts should help, if it's meant to be a .pdf then scribus has the tools to allow you to fill out the form.

nightshift

It's not really meant to be filled out in the pdf, just distributed as a pdf. The worksheets (there are 2, plus a diagram) are meant to be printed out, filled in, then referred back to later in the instructions. So, I'm looking specifically at having the line, not a fillable text box. I do have an example to post, but, don't currently have anywhere to host the image.

The project is a knitting formula, the worksheets are to help keep track of all the body measurements and math needed - I have handwritten rough drafts and a basic idea of what I want the whole thing to look like, it's keeping everything lined up that I'm not sure about.

What I'm trying to figure out is, would each question have it's own text frame using guidelines to line up the line that is drawn on, or if the questions would all be in one frame? Methods to contain the contents of the worksheet other than grouping?

AdmFubar

If I understand what you are asking about, this might work for you.

You can have the blank lines after the question, the exact placement will need some tweaking as always, but simply add some tabs where you want your lines to be, select the tabs as you would any other text and underline them. Blank lines for the answers. :)  these are then "tweak-able" with various font settings, to ensure there is enough room to fill with handwritten text.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

PatJr

it kinda sounds like inkscape might be a better way to go for something like that?

nightshift

Quote from: AdmFubar on March 05, 2023, 11:46:01 PMIf I understand what you are asking about, this might work for you.

You can have the blank lines after the question, the exact placement will need some tweaking as always, but simply add some tabs where you want your lines to be, select the tabs as you would any other text and underline them. Blank lines for the answers. :)  these are then "tweak-able" with various font settings, to ensure there is enough room to fill with handwritten text.

Oh, that is stupidly simple, and I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that.

Pat, I thought about using inkscape (and probably will for the diagram itself, then import into the document), but, that causes it's own set of problems for the worksheet itself - besides, the rudimentary vector editing that scribus has is the exact same tools that I'd be using in inkscape, without the problems that come from the import.

Nermander

Use tabs and set the tab "fill" to be underscore.

tabs.PNG

(I see I made it right aligned in the screenshot, what is probably not necessary.)