Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Need help - Scribus 1.6.1 ...
Last post by AdmFubar - August 29, 2024, 03:19:22 AM
you can just attach the .sla . i'd recommend doing a collect for output, and compressing that directory, zip is fine, then i will have any fonts and images you are using in the document.
Last post by Dr. Mindermast - August 29, 2024, 02:29:21 AM
Okay, I tried deleting everything after the break, it gave me an error message about the document stopping abruptly.  I checked the deleted section (which was pasted into a separate document), copied the closing tags from the end of it, and it gave me error messages about tags not matching.  I couldn't figure out what was missing so I scrapped that plan.  I wouldn't have been able to show you all of the text here anyway - the problem is on page 7 of a 50-page document.

Next I did some experimenting myself to see if I could figure out... anything.  Working directly in the document, I can add new text in the middle of a paragraph, including in or after the column that has been giving me all this trouble, and successfully save the file.  But if I create a new paragraph then it crashes while saving.  Furthermore, I saw that this also crashed Scribus when I tried it before the page where the problem first occurred.  The other thing I tried was opening the file in Notepad, adding <para PARENT="Heading"/> somewhere, and then opening it in Scribus afterward.  This was successful when I added it to a random paragraph on page 9 or 10, but not when I added it to existing text in my trouble spot on page 7.

I don't know if this is an option, but I could save everything as a .txt file and upload it here for you to examine, if you would want to do that (and if the forum will allow it).  I'm fine with sharing my text here as much as is needed to diagnose (and hopefully fix) this problem.
Installation and Setup / Re: LInux AppImage download li...
Last post by busscri - August 28, 2024, 09:50:26 PM
Sorry I was searching for the 1.7 appimage.
Last post by AdmFubar - August 28, 2024, 03:59:42 AM
Next test on the copy, delete everything from the column break to the end, including the column break. save that copy and open it in scribus. if it opens ok then the issue is in the file after the column break. Will need to see that in full if possible to trouble shoot
Last post by Dr. Mindermast - August 28, 2024, 02:52:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.  I was able to find and delete <breakcol/>, which was in exactly the place where I've been having the problem, but now when I try to open that file Scribus crashes immediately instead of waiting until I try to save my work.  So I'm glad you reminded me to make a duplicate and mess with that one instead of my original file :)

In case it will help, I've attached a screenshot here from the text editor, with the problem re-inserted, in case maybe something else around it might be contributing to the problem and you are able to identify that.
Last post by AdmFubar - August 28, 2024, 02:36:42 AM
Make a copy of the .sla with the issue. Open it in a text editor and do a search for

<breakcol/>

Delete that and save, then try an open it in scribus and see if it crashes.
General Discussion / [SOLVED] Need help - Scribus 1...
Last post by Dr. Mindermast - August 28, 2024, 02:04:01 AM
(Windows 11, in case that makes a difference here)

This problem just popped up a few days ago.  I was editing a document that I've been working on for a while, and when I tried to save it the program crashed.  After a little bit of experimentation I've found that it only happens after one specific change - deleting a page break that I inserted in the past and have now decided I don't want (between linked text frames, in case that's important).  I can make any other changes to the document, before or after the trouble spot, and it saves normally.  It's just this one spot, and I have no idea why, and it's driving me a little crazy.  Does anybody know why this might be happening and if there's anything I can do to fix it?

For what it's worth, I have already tried rebooting my computer, and that did not help.  Besides that I'm out of ideas.
Installation and Setup / Re: LInux AppImage download li...
Last post by PatJr - August 28, 2024, 01:53:49 AM
looks like it's working now
General Discussion / Re: Scribus 1.7.0 is looking p...
Last post by NathanUp - August 27, 2024, 11:55:41 PM
I'm running Arch (EndeavourOS) so I just installed it from the AUR:

yay -S scribus-svn
General Discussion / Re: Scribus 1.7.0 is looking p...
Last post by busscri - August 27, 2024, 11:35:03 PM
How did you manage to Install 1.7 on Linux? I tried to build from SVN source but failed becouse of missing packages I think. Maybe that could be something for you blog?