Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Layout Issues / Re: Baseline grid creates weird spaces
« Last post by Nermander on December 24, 2021, 11:49:48 am »
Maybe not a bug in Scribus, but maybe a bug in the font?
Layout Issues / Re: Baseline grid creates weird spaces
« Last post by Ewac on December 24, 2021, 11:47:05 am »
So apparently this does not count as a bug, since it is just the letter being too big...  ::)
Although it looks like there is enough space and it sometimes creates an empty line not only right above the Umlaut, but also above the prior line that does not contain an Umlaut...

Either way, if anyone ever has an issue like this....what I'm doing now is to use the regular A, U, O in the text and then create a seperate text frame with the Umlaut Ä, Ü, Ö and place it on top of the other letter. Using a different color at first to be able to see that I get the position very exact on top of the other.
Not a very smooth solution, but the only thing I could come up with
Text and Typography / Scribus not respecting no-break spaces
« Last post by Biblio on December 23, 2021, 10:23:41 am »
Hello,

Scribus does not seem to be respecting no-break spaces after an en-dashes. Wouls anyone happen to know why? It acts as though the no-break space were a regular space (I guess I forgot to say that I added a no-break space after an en-dash to insure that it would not be situated at the end of a line, which is currently is. The only space between it and the following word is a no-break space).

Cordially,
Biblio
Text and Typography / Re: how to right align a list numbered with Roman numerals
« Last post by Biblio on December 23, 2021, 10:18:16 am »
This is already possible in Scribus (if I have understood you correctly), but there is somewhat of a workaround. These instructions assume that you will create a paragraph style for the list instead of using the numbered list option.

I don’t how familiar you are with Scribus, and maybe someday, someone who isn’t that familiar with it will read this, so I will provide step-by-step instructions (which makes them sound complicated if you are already used to using Scribus). I hope that this answers your question.

1. Go to Edit → Styles

2. On the bottom of the Style Manager window, click on “New” and “Paragraph Style”. Choose a name (don’t forget to apply this paragraphe style to the list).

3. Click on the third tab (which is called “Shortcut” in English), and choose the font you want. If you want to change the line spacing, and options like that, click the first tab (“Properties”).

4. Click on the first tab of the window and add a right tabulator by clicking on the ruler that is on the bottom of the window. Then, choose the appropriate/desired options so that the right side of the numbers will be ligned up. Keep in mind that you can change this later and it will apply to all paragraphs that use this style, so you can apply to multiple lists at the same time. This could be necessary, for example, if you end up using a high number (for a list, at least), like XXVIII, but don’t know it at first. To change it, hover over the tabulator until your cursor looks like an arrow pointing in two opposite directions, and make the necessary modifications (otherwise, you will add another tabulator instead of modifying this one). Click somewhere else (but not on the ruler or on another tabulator) or hit return so that the changes take effect. Note that when you are editing the tabulators, you can use math operators, so instead of trying to add 0.123 to 0.689 elsewhere, for example, you can do it directly in the tabulator position’s text field.

5. Add a left tabulator so that the text of the list will be aligned. If you change the first tabulator later, you will need to change this one too. It is easy though, because you can just add the same number to both to make sure that they stay the same distance apart.

6. Add a left indent to the whole text equal to the value of the second tabulator (as that is where the text starts) plus however much you want all but the first line to be indented in. You can do this by increasing the value of the bottommost text field under the ruler. The indentation of the first line will automatically have the negative value of whatever you add so as to balance out. Because we are using tabulators to make the list, you should not change the first line’s indent directly.

7. If you want you, you can add an indent to the right side of the paragraph (there are two text fields directly beneath the ruler and above the one mentioned in the previous step. The one that you need to modify is, logically, on the right). If you want the text of the first line of the list to be centered, but not the numbers, make the right indent be equal to the value of the second tabulator (don’t forget to click on the apply button to see the results. If you have’t added tabs before the numbers and after the colons, it won’t work).

8. If you want to add spacing after each item of the list to better separate them, you can, but if you want your text to be aligned to the baseline grid, you can just hit return instead (the result will look the same), unless you want it to be automatic. To change this value, increase the value in the text field that is next to “↓¶”.

Attached are a picture of the Style Manager window (it is in French, but hopefully, given the above description, it will still help those who are not familiar with Scribus), a picture of the final list in Scribus, and a Scribus file containing said list (I used the Old Standard TT font, which is available for free on Google Fonts. You will need it in order to view the document correctly).

— Biblio
I want Document Setup > Sections > Name > "foo" to appear as a variable in a master page.  I can do this with page number ="#". How do I specify the name variable?
Beginner Talk / Re: Image frame cross lines not appearing (not possible to "get image")
« Last post by Ronald on December 22, 2021, 05:34:33 pm »
Now I've separated the 84 page document into 3 separate ones and that works, so the main cause must be memory of my computer. Good to finally understand for future projects. I was about to give up on Scribus because I couldn't find the issue.

Thanks RodneyLee for the kind replies and patience with a rookie.

For future Scribus beginners take this potential root cause into consideration so you don't have to search endlessly what the problem is.
PDF Generation / Re: File | Export | Save as PDF... - Causes crash SIG11
« Last post by ScribusRibus on December 22, 2021, 02:52:05 pm »
hi scribusribus

if you can reproduce the crash with another file, you should open a bug report. if it's just this single file, it's up to you. but that's the place where the developers might jump in…

utnik

Hi utnik,

I'm having trouble re-creating the problem, although I have no problem observing the behaviour with a minimal document.

It seems that it is a combination of a deleted character style, that is still applied to some of the text in a table cell (even though when I removed the style the option to apply "No Style" was offered and accepted), that has no borders (which was a case of Russian Roulette as to whether it worked or not), will cause Scribus to crash when exporting to PDF.

I have one table with one cell left of the original document as a working example of what causes the crash.

Also, there is a subtle additional issue that when the deleted, but still applied somewhere, character style is present in the document, when attempting to export to PDF and selecting the "Fonts" tab to "Embed all" or "Subset all" fonts in the PDF export dialog, this will also cause Scribus to crash with a SIG11. - Reproducing this is a level of Russian Roulette that is beyond me! :-/

Removing the borders from a table or cell seems to be very "hit and miss" or perhaps a "convoluted" and nuanced affair for me with Scribus v1.5.5 - the UI suggests the border has been removed, ie. no lines are selected in the "Properties" dialog and the line is apparently removed, yet when I preview, or move away from the table object, the settings do not stick. ???

Sometimes making the line width 0 and colour None does the trick - but that's not really removing the border line. :-/

It appears that when you select a table or enter a cell, all borders are active in the preferences dialog - regardless of what you had previously selected to be active - and sometimes they are how you left them, as desired. This is not always the case, I presume I must be missing something...

The only way to remove or change what you had previously selected to be active borders, need to be selected exactly as you had intended them to be - before you can amend the line width or colour, or even remove the desired border setting from the cell or table entirely. Additionally the table borders overlap with each other, which actually prevents being able to have cells with a full border of a specific colour that differs from it's neighbours.

I challenge someone to provide me with the steps needed to selectively produce a combination of borders to a table and/or cell, with varying colour and width and/or style that I can apply and get the same result as they did by following said steps. :-) lol

Just to be clear, I'm not bashing Scribus in any way, I just happen to find issues with things... be that either a bug, or a process for something.

Again, I wholeheartedly appreciate all of your suggestions/help - Scribus is a breath of fresh air when compared to MS Word, or even LibreOffice Writer when it comes to layout!  8)

Thanks

PS. I have attached two files demonstrating the issues I see. Hopefully nobody experiences the same issues, but if you do please report what version of Scribus you are using and I will gladly update.  8)
Text and Typography / Re: how to right align a list numbered with Roman numerals
« Last post by Ewac on December 22, 2021, 10:42:50 am »
I have a similar problem and I tried to use tab stops. Which works fine if you have one line for each list item. If you have more lines you need to add tabs manually for each line, which can be difficult if you end up making changes to your style later on. Also, it does not work with automated hyphenation, but you would have to manually add your hyphenation and then add the tabs.
Doable but a lot of extra work for something that I would think many people use. The numbered lists have different issues that need to be improved, so maybe this should be suggested as a feature as well.
Yes, this is what I mean, when I say I need to trigger hyphenation manually, I have to select the text frame, go to extras, hyphenate text. When working with many text frames that are not linked, this gets a bit tiresome, hence the question if there is an easier solution.
Installation and Setup / Scribus appimage file are included "additional data" from PPA ?
« Last post by Aug on December 22, 2021, 07:13:44 am »
I not see how have a information support about Scribus thus I have created a issue.

In link below
https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Debian
have details about "Additional data, color profiles, templates, and auxiliary applications" being installed when using distro ubuntu apt-get scribus from PPA.

In Scribus appimage include all additional data above ( scribus-template , icc-profiles , lprof and podofo ) ?
If not is included if installing using PPA deb files works with appimage release ?
Thanks for reply.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
palmate