Importing Word for Mac files

Previous topic - Next topic

HFNotts

Is there a way to import Word for Mac files and retain the formatting?

Is there a way to drag and drop Word files?

I understand that Scribus cannot import .docx files but the Gemy book says it can import .doc file but suggest .odt files are best BUT Word does not give an option to save such files.

I've just come to Scribus as I edit three 40 page newsletters and have been using Word but would like more scope than Word provides.  Most of my stories are received as Word files so drag and drop is important to me as a time saver, as is the ability to bring text into Script as formatted in Word.

I would be very grateful for any help in all this please.

GarryP

Because Scribus can't import DOCX files you could always install OpenOffice/LibreOffice, open the DOCX file in that, then save the file as an ODT, then import that into Scribus.

It's an extra step but once you've got things set-up each document won't take much more than around a minute to process including opening/closing the application - i.e. Open OO/LO; open document; save as; Close OO/LO. (And it'll be quicker if you convert them in batches.)

You might also like to look at this post http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,742.0.html which talks about linking styles in ODT files to Scribus styles. It might make importing things a bit quicker if things are set-up the right way.

Having said all that, if you are not in the position to install software on your computer - and many aren't - you might want to look at an online DOC -> ODT converter. There are many available but I couldn't personally recommend any because I don't use them.

Wena

Abeywriter, is another and that can work directly from an external memory. I use that when I need it, but as has already been said the OpanOffice is a good one.

Wena 

HFNotts

Hi,

Thanks for your replies I am most grateful.

I don't have Open Office at present but there is no reason I could not.
As said, it is another step and I am really looking to streamline the workload not to complicate it.
I started with Scribus as I understood from the 'blurb' that Word files could be imported and, indeed, .doc files can but without the Word formatting which does create even more time consuming work to re-format.
I guess its not a perfect world and we cannot have everything we would wish for.

GarryP

Do you know which software your contributors are using to compile their articles?

Until now they've been giving you stuff in DOC format because you've been using Word but, now that you're moving to Scribus, they might easily be able to supply you with the text in a Scribus-friendly format instead. That would save you the conversion process and plenty of time.

It might be worth asking them. If the majority of people can send you stuff in a format you can easily use then you'll only need to convert a few articles. You never know.

Arran

QuoteI don't have Open Office at present but there is no reason I could not.

I rather recommend LibreOffice. OpenOffice will soon become a paid for and in part closed source commercial program, whereas the old and original makers have now more or less completely switched to LibreOffice which is governed by its own Charta.   
Have you first consulted the Manual? You can probably find the solution there.

Happy Greetings from Scotland's nicest Holiday Island