Just Getting Started

Previous topic - Next topic

singingscrapper

Hello!  This is my first time on the Scribus board.  I just wanted to say thank you to those who designed this program!!  It is wonderful!  When our homeschool group was seeking to put together a yearbook, I had to try to find software that I could use to design the pages.  I think this program is very easy to learn and it has been a lifesaver.  I wondered if there was a place on the forums where I could upload the templates I made for other people to use if they want to do a yearbook type project?  I am not a programmer or anything, just a mom who homeschools and uses the computer :)   There may be templates out there much more advanced than mine but I would like to share them if anyone has a need for these :)

Nermander

Not sure about the forum, but I think there is a place for templates in the wiki or om the Scribus homepage.

And there's of course the Success stories section on the wiki.

GarryP

I think it's great that singingscrapper wants to share her template and look forward to seeing it "out there" for more people to use, but I think there's a bit of a problem.

After quite a bit of searching/clicking/scratching-my-head I've managed to find where the templates are held.

You can find them by going to the Scribus page on SourceForge.net, then clicking on "Files", then "extras", then "templates". Is it just me or is that a little difficult to find? It's probably basic stuff for developers but for the average user I doubt many would get there and would just give up. (How a normal user would upload anything there I haven't a clue.)

There is a wiki page that says to put templates on the "Sample Docs and Templates" page but that doesn't seem to exist. Also, personally, I'd say that if someone is looking for templates I don't think they'd look in the success stories section, they'd most probably search for "templates" then find nothing that stood out and then stop looking.

Would it be possible for someone to create a much more visible area/page, possibly on the wiki, where people can find and upload templates more easily? This "Templates" page could also give some instructions on how to properly use the installed templates too (some don't have any instructions). In my opinion this would help the community to grow by both making Scribus more "accessible" to new users and allowing people to get more involved by submitting their own stuff.

That's just my suggestion though. Maybe someone else has a better idea. I hope so.

Nermander

What you found is (I think) where the templates distributed with Scribus are located.

I googled on "scribus template" and found this site: http://scribusstuff.org/

GarryP

Ah, I see. Sorry, I was looking for them in the places you suggested and where the Scribus documentation - both in Scribus itself and in the wiki - pointed me. I think some doc updates may be needed.

I've never even heard of ScribusStuff.org before. Just shows how much I've been relying on the official Scribus websites. I'll have to give it a whirl. Thanks for pointing me towards some potential new resources.

One last question if I may: Is ScribusStuff.org "endorsed" or "approved" by the Scribus team? If so then maybe it would be a good idea to link it in from the main Scribus website, just so that more people can find it. Or is it an "unofficial" site? I'm just curious.