Controlling Knockout & overprint.

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan.kreider

I've searched the archives and google and I haven't found an answer to my question yet, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Version = 1.4.2 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Is there a way to control knockout and overprint for text colors and text outline colors and text box colors and text box line colors _each_individually_?

Alternatively, is there a way to control knockout vs. overprint by color?

The case study is a table with model numbers, description and price.  The background of the cells are yellow, the text inside is black and the table is over a black background.  The Black text should overprint, while the yellow background of the cells should knockout the black background of the whole page.

My experimenting tells me that the knockout/overprint controls in the properties dialog controls all of the above with no ability to control them individually.  Is this correct?  Is there another method to achieve this without creating the yellow background to the table with a separate box?

Marikus

Dear Jonathan!

If you want to use Overprint to pimp up your designs, there are a few things to know:

You can not assign this to colors or parts of an object. It can be set only for the whole object.
That means for you now, if you really want to go ahead with this: Put your yellow background into an own object. I don´t know your project, but you might be able to do this by just duplicating your table and leave it without the text/numbers. Then set it on "Knockout", so that the black background will be cut away. On the former object just remove the yellow background by setting its color to "none". Then set this object to "Overprint". If everything went well, the black text/numbers will nicely overprint your yellow backround which in its turn will knockout your black bottom.

Good luck to you.

By the way: Don´t be irritated by the print preview. I guess it can not display anything under your overprinting object

Marikus

Just for the case that the above is ahead feasibility: Keep everything like before, then set the color of the black characters to 100%K, 100%Y, 0%M, 0%C - this emulates your overprinting black over yellow. If your yellow is something else than 100%, so just adyust the Y-component of your black characters. Goal achieved. But be aware that you lost a bit of flexibiliy: If you change the yellow background for example to light-cyan, you should remember to adjust the enrichment of your black also, otherwise you possibly may be slightly surprised after seeing your printed matter... ;D

Arran

Black Background for the whole page, yellow background for info panels and black font for the info. What an overkill.

Basically reading print on black paper has always been a problem, due to the classic way of printing colour over colour. In Typography one learns in his first year of apprenticeship not to use slim fonts under 24 typograhic points and in any case no «negative letters» under about 14 points.

Even today with the high-resolution monitors small fonts in light colours on a dark background, the more narrow or thinner the are, are a pest to read.

Light print colour on dark background are for the eyes also much more exhausting than the classical dark on light. So please use your creativity to use the «upturned wold» as scarcely as really possible and only for very important highlights.
Have you first consulted the Manual? You can probably find the solution there.

Happy Greetings from Scotland's nicest Holiday Island