Table of contents with several levels

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh

Hi

I'm a newbie and look for the answer in the forum.

I've got a document with :
- a text areafor the TOC
- a text Chapter1
- a text chapter2
- a text chapter 2.1
- a text chapter 2.2
- a text chapter 3

With the tip in the wiki, I succeeded in making a TOC but all the titles at the same level.

I'm looking for the way to create a TOC with several levels :
- Chapter 1
- CHapter 2
     - Chapter 2.1
     - Chapter 2.2
- CHapter 3

Without success ! I'm sure I'm missing something... But what ?

Thanks in advance.

Welsh

Wena

Welsh

Arran

In my opinion, the ToC-module needs a real good upgrade and an automatism to use headline-styles something like in LO Writer.
Have you first consulted the Manual? You can probably find the solution there.

Happy Greetings from Scotland's nicest Holiday Island

Welsh

Quote from: Arran on March 29, 2013, 12:45:26 PM
In my opinion, the ToC-module needs a real good upgrade and an automatism to use headline-styles something like in LO Writer.
That's exactly the behaviour I'm looking for.

Despite this automatism, is there a way to do it manually ?

GarryP

Currently - as of version 1.4.2 - Scribus doesn't have a proper way of creating a multi-level TOC (like you can with OpenOffice/LibreOffice etc.).
See these pages for more info: http://forums.scribus.net/index.php?topic=279.0 and http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Editing

However, a simple way of getting a multi-level TOC is to add spaces to the start of the value you give to the TOC attribute.

It's not a particularly high-tech solution but it does the job.

Please note that this only works well when you have the page numbers at the beginning, it looks completely wrong if you put the page numbers at the end.

See the attached SLA for an example.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Welsh

GarryP

You're welcome.

It's also worth noting that the text frame you put the TOC in is fully editable like any other text frame.

This means that you can manually apply styles or other editing (making second level references italic, for instance) to the text in that frame. But make sure you don't re-generate the TOC or your editing will be overwritten, so it's best to leave that sort of thing to the very end of your work on the document.

Nermander

I used that feature in a magazine where we wanted to emphasize certain articles. So the TOC had a standard style set but some of the paragraphs had different styles applied to make them larger or a bit smaller.