JPEG-Export with the bleed?

Previous topic - Next topic

holch

Hi everyone!

I am currently adapting some business cards, so I can print them here at the local printer.

I received a template from headquarters in Europe as .ai and .pdf. Unfortunately I couldn't import them into Scribus, at least not in an acceptable format, so I created them new based on the PDF I received. This worked quite well and I learned some stuff about Scribus.

Now my printer either wants a Corel Draw file (.cdr) or a JPEG. So I'll have to go with the JPEG.

I created my template based on the description of bleeds and security margins (http://ajuda.atualcard.com.br/montagem-basica-tipo-cartao.html) and it looks good. But when I export my file to JPEG, the bleed disappears. First I didn't notice, but I thought the margin was quite small and I put some squares where and the one that represents the blled doesn't appear anymore.

I've attached a picture that shows the problem.

I hope I don't have to change the format of the cards and create them without the bleed and the with a bigger security margin. Not really a big deal, but if I would have known, that the JPEG-Export doesn't include the bleed, I could have done it differently already.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wena

It would be much to first import the PDF or even the ai format into Inkskape and then save it as SVG  you could then use that in Scribus and adjust it  to suet the size you want without loosing quality.

Wena

utnik

hi holch

if you really need a .jpg file, you have to set the file size bigger. for a final size of the card of 54mm × 85mm with 2mm for the bleeds you need a 58mm × 89mm file. with a resolution of 300ppi, it should be a 686px × 1052px .jpg file. (300ppi export of a 58mm × 89mm scribus file...)

but most print shops will print from .pdf files as well...

utnik

Nermander

But if the image export from Scribus does not include the bleed area, setting the image size bigger will only make the image bigger... it won't include the bleed.

I guess the only way is to first export to PDF and then convert the PDF to JPG (ghostscript or ImageMagick?).

holch

Thanks for the responses.

As I said, importing the PDF file garbled up totally and .ai didn't work either. I tried that, because it obviously would be the best solution (but wouldn't solve my problem anyway, because I think the agency didn't include a bleed anyway and the size and format was for the US anyway, so I think it was best to adapt it for my market anyway).

Now to the actual problem: I still have some credit with this printer from a refund so I would like to go with them. And unfortunately they only accept .cdr or .jpeg for now (yeah, I know...).

The information about size the give for the 5x9cm business cards:

Final size: 5,08×8,8cm
File size with bleed: 5,38×9,1 cm

And in the general instructions they as for 3,5mm of free space from the borders of the document (1,5mm bleed, 2mm security space).

What I did now was create a file with the size of 5,38x9,1mm and made the security margin 3,5mm and a bleed of 0mm (so it includes the bleed and the security margin) and now Scribus will export the whole file.

I am not quite sure why Scribus doesn't export the bleed if there is one. As far as I understand the printer needs the file with the bleed, so the background color or image is over the whole document and there are no white borders.

Thanks anyway for anyone who helped with an answer.

Nermander

I think the JPEG export is not intended for printing. With Scribus a print ready PDF is the primary goal.

holch

@Nermander: I imagined it was something like that. But still, I think even JPEG, while not ideal or desirable for print documents, should respect the bleed if there is one. But probably the developers think that the JPEG export is for showing the document to the client or for presenting it on the web, where the bleed might just not be very desirable, as the client might complain about "too much margin". ;-)

Well, it was actually not that much work. Luckily the change of the bleed to margin didn't effect my layout.

utnik

hi holch

unlike .pdf, the .jpeg standard doesn't support trimm boxes and bleed boxes. so you have to build the file as a full size image  (including bleeds).

utnik

Nermander

But the JPEG export dialog could still have settings for bleed area as the PDF export dialog. It's just a matter of "how much data outside the margins should be exported".

Sure, the JPEG itself won't include any information about how big the bleed area is, but that information can be supplied separately to the printer. "Here is a JPEG at 300 PPI with 3 mm bleed."