Get PDF Text To Move When Typing In A Text Box?

Previous topic - Next topic

alteredstate

Hello Everyone,

I'm creating a contract PDF form from an SVG file.  Basically, the PDF form will be used to manually input fields such as: dates, times, client names, etc... After exporting the SVG file to a PDF and then opening in Adobe Reader 9.5.4, I cannot get the actual PDF text to move when a client's name is input into a text box but exceeds the text box area.  This must be because the PDF is just an image and text box fields are just annotations correct?  Is there a way I can manipulate the SVG (or PDF) file so that text will move with a text box entry?

Nermander

No, it's more because in the PDF (if it is created by Scribus) the glyphs are placed one by one. The PDF does not know about lines or text frames (except the form fields).

alteredstate

Quote from: Nermander on March 14, 2013, 08:01:41 PM
No, it's more because in the PDF (if it is created by Scribus) the glyphs are placed one by one. The PDF does not know about lines or text frames (except the form fields).

Do you suggest a different plan of attack (preferably one that uses Scribus and a PDF document)?

Nermander

It's probably no possible to do using a PDF.

PDF is intended as a replacement for paper. Have you ever seen text on a form on paper move as you fill in the form? Probably not:)

The point is that a PDF does not know about lines, paragraphs, frames etc. It's a bunch of characters placed on a page.

alteredstate

Quote from: Nermander on March 15, 2013, 08:18:48 AM
It's probably no possible to do using a PDF.

PDF is intended as a replacement for paper. Have you ever seen text on a form on paper move as you fill in the form? Probably not:)

The point is that a PDF does not know about lines, paragraphs, frames etc. It's a bunch of characters placed on a page.

Ok, thank you for your prompt replies and have a great weekend!

StevoD

The only way to get a text field in a PDF to expand as text is input is to create the form in Adobe LiveCycle Designer which creates XFA documents. It is essentially an XML form in a PDF wrapper. LiveCycle Designer is the only program that will create this kind of form as far as I know.