GhostScript: No executable for Scribus? Install not recognized?

Previous topic - Next topic

LDMartin1959

Newbie here. I have found a GhostScript package for OS X (gplgs-8.71.dmg) but this does not seem to satisfy Scribus. GhostScript requirements call for an executable located as /usr/local/bin/gs. I have looked and GS is present but this does not seem to satisfy Scribus. I keep getting the message that GhostScript is not installed. I've searched the forums but seem to find nothing that answers the question: "What am I missing here"?

Thank you.

Nermander

Scribus will only search for Ghostscript on install, so if you install Ghostscript after Scribus you will have to manually set the correct path to the executable. I don't know what it is for OS X.

GarryP

LDMartin1959

Quote from: Nermander on October 02, 2013, 07:16:53 AM
Scribus will only search for Ghostscript on install, so if you install Ghostscript after Scribus you will have to manually set the correct path to the executable. I don't know what it is for OS X.

Quote from: Nermander on October 02, 2013, 07:16:53 AM

GS was installed before I relaunched Scribus, and the correct path was already present in the preferences so I didn't have to do any changes there. The reference is there and is correct, but for some reason, it just isn't recognizing it as being there. Thanks for the direction, though.

Nermander

I think there is a strange bug, even if the path to the executable is correct you need to re-enter it.

GarryP

If you can't get it to work as Nermander suggests above then I have three other ideas (some might not apply directly to you but might be valid for other people reading this):

1. Is Scribus pointing to a valid executable file? It might be that it's looking at a link file that is somehow broken.

2. Do you have more than one copy of GhostScript installed? E.g. Something from Macports perhaps? Scribus might have found a non-working copy. (Different installation methods install it into different folders.)

3. You could try renaming your preferences file to trick Scribus into thinking it's just been newly installed.

I have no confidence in any of these things working but they're worth a go if you get really desperate.

LDMartin1959

None of these suggestions worked for me, but I managed to find a v9.xx package of GhostScript, installed that and now Scribus seems to be happy. I don't see that it made any difference in terms of the GS file but at least the problem is solved, though it bugs me to not know WHY the problem existed in the first place.

toyotadesigner

Did you use Onyx to clean your Mac and rebuild the dependencies of your system?

In most cases running Onyx solves many problems. Make sure you dl the one for your OS version (10.6.8 is different from the version for 10.7.X and higher!)

NancyKP

I'm on OSX, 10.7, and had to enter the path twice.  Works fine as long as the path is set correctly.  I installed Scribus first.  I'll look in to Onyx, never heard of it.

I've been using Scribus for about 2 weeks now, no major issues, I've used Quark in the past.