Introducing Font Palettes?

Previous topic - Next topic

Arran

Hello

We all know in Scribus the many colour palettes we can choose, or even make our own ones. I used this last way once or twice as it allows much quicker working. Good typography does not consist in using many fonts (exceptions confirm this rule) and only a handfull of different cuts of a certain font family.
I find the system for the colour palettes very good and would like to discuss here a possible support to make such a request with the developpers.

The present situation (1.4.2) is not easy: When I open Fontview under Extras, I get a list of about 450 different entries (Dejavu has alone 21 of them) and not yet all needed ones installed. If I want to use really six different cuts of a sans serif and perhaps an antiqua normal and italic, I would like to make a project font palette of these 8 entries. That would be the ideal, to make that same procedure like the colour palette creation and be able to use it in different projects. Ideal for using so called Company-Fonts. Now, however, I have to untick in Fontview all fonts, except the ones I want. Now imagine that work, if one has about 2000 fonts installed.

I could do for a quick intermediate solution the possibility to untick ALL Fonts by clicking on a button and then reklick eacht font I need. However, as this info is stored in the project information I cannot use it in another poject. So this should be just a temporary solution, until the Full Font Monty is ready.

What do YOU think about my idea?
Have you first consulted the Manual? You can probably find the solution there.

Happy Greetings from Scotland's nicest Holiday Island

utnik

hi arran

• the idea of a font management inside scribus is good.
  • in my scribus properties something around sixty cuts are active by default. (four different font families and some special character collections like 'symbol'). when i need another font, i activate it in 'file' → 'document setup' → 'fonts' – this works good for me. (but improvements are welcome...)
  • this selection works for the 'style manager', the 'story editor' and the 'proprties' window. unfortunately it doesn't affect the 'font preview'. (as i know my fonts, i almost never use 'font preview'...)
  • as a quick improvement a 'deselect all' button in 'file' → 'document setup' → 'fonts' would do. (or separate 'select all' and 'deselect all' buttons for 'use font', 'embed in postscript' and 'subset'...)
  • fonts deselected in 'document setup' shouldn't appear anywhere else than in the setup window itself. (looks like a bug, but i may only miss the good reason...)
utnik