Scribus export to image creates only blank documents

Previous topic - Next topic

hhickey

Hoping someone can help here. I have been creating Scribus pages with images text boxes and shapes and can export to a PDF with no issues. However, when I try and export as an image it creates a file (different size of files depending on the image format chosen), the image file when viewed or opened is entirely blank!

I did a brief search of the forums and could find no reference to this. The png files are relatively small while the bmp or tif files are over 250MB.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hal

utnik

hi hal

what did you export? ('current page', 'all pages', 'range'?) – could it have been an empty part of your document?

utnik

hhickey

Hi,

Thanks a bunch for having a look at my thread and replying. I tried to export current page then all pages with the same result, a large blank page consuming several megabytes of data. I tried exporting to phg, jpg, tif and bmp with the same resulting blank pages of varying file sizes. The same export to a PDF works perfect. I am trying to export to an image file for some Photoshop work.

I am using Scribus 1.4.1

Hal

utnik

hi hal

the export works well for me. (scribus1.4.2 / macOS10.6.8)
if an update to the actual version won't fix the problem, you should file a bug report at bugs.scribus.net.

utnik

hhickey

Hi again,

Thanks< I upgraded to 1.4.2 but the result is exactly the same. My 293kB SLA page is saved as a 309MB tif file (or various sized other image formats), but when opening in a variety of image viewers/editors, the page is completely blank. The size of the image file must mean it contains a large amount of data but, nothing is visible. There must be something I am missing....

I did try creating the most simple SLA file, a text box with letters and words and this exported just fine to an Image file. All the other SLA files I have created result in blank page image files of varying data sizes...

GarryP

Until you can get an answer to this, or until any potential bug is fixed, you could try using ImageMagick to convert the working PDF version to a bitmap so you can get on with your Photoshopping.

hhickey

Thanks, I have reported this as a bug to Scribus and tried ImageMagick but it doesn't seem to like the PDFs...

utnik

hi hal

can you tell us the number of your reported bug?
...and if you like, upload one of your affected .sla files (including the image files) – i would take a look at it...

utnik

hhickey

The issue ID is 11421

I've attached one of my files in Scribus SLA format. Thanks for your help!

[attachment deleted by admin]

hhickey

The bud issue has been resolved. It seems my fondness for the Windows XP Operating system has caused this issue as I remain in the 32 bit world. Here is the resolution from the Scribus bug report:

The export to raster images is not memory efficient and on a 32bit system such as
Windows XP you will rapidly hit the limits of the 32bit memory management. I can
however export your sample file without problem with a 64bit system and 6Gb of
memory using the 1.4.2 64bit build. However you'll need Windows Vista 64bit,
Windows 7 64bit or Windows 8 64bit to install it.

Thanks for all your help on this one!

Hal

Arran

Better change to a dual boot with one of the current Linux-Distros. After testing about ten distributions, I recommend Kubuntu, the KDE desktop is the nearest and most intuitive at the moment. It is also, from the most used Distros, the most stable one. Then you can run Scribus in its native environment, Gimp too. And in a year of two, you dont use Windows any longer.$

Give it a thought. It will pay out.
Have you first consulted the Manual? You can probably find the solution there.

Happy Greetings from Scotland's nicest Holiday Island