SVG to png - poor quality

Previous topic - Next topic

nwcon

I'm hoping someone here might offer some technical advice for my problem.

We hired a graphic designer to create a logo, and for one purpose, we need it resized to no larger than 180x180 pixels, jpg or png only.  We have an SVG of the original Adobe Illustrator file, but even after reading and trying many different techniques, we (the graphic designer and myself) can't seem to generate a png that's acceptable.  It's simply too pixelated.

I'm not sure if my expectation is realistic (or not), but I can print a 32x32 icon that looks WAY better than our logo.  Printing the logo is how I check to see if the quality is acceptable.

I'm not a graphics person, but I've read and tried so many different things to no avail, I decided to try and ask for help here.  I've attached the SVG version of our logo .  I'd sure appreciate any feedback anyone might be able to offer in generating a png or jpg at a max width of 180 pixels.

I'm working under Debian Squeeze with Scribus 1.3.3.13svn.

Regards,

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi mike

what's the purpose of this small image?
if it's for the internet, then you should check it on screen.

when you print it less than one inch wide, it should be ok. for larger outputs, the file is really too small.

btw:

• as a logo i would like to have something that works on different background colors and in small scales...
  • scribus 1.3.3.13 is a bit outdated. you should work with 1.4.2.
i just exported 180px .png from inkscape. as expected, it's small – but acceptable for the screen...

utnik

Arran

Hello Mike

I am a bit puzzled about your 180 px. As far as I know Pixels do not exist in Scribus. You should only use the measurement systems that are on offer. Scribus is basically a programm for producing printed matter, however, that can be presented on the sscreens too. So, it is either the metric system of mm, cm, meters, or the typographical of points, ciceros etc., possibly also the imperial- and/or US-inches.

Pixels are a relative size, they depend on your hardware. If you have an old Screen, you have probably a resolution of 60 to 70 Pixels per inch, if you have a modern monitor, this is around 100 ppi. So your 180 px look on an old screen much bigger, than on a newer monitor. On my Monitor, 180 px equals 45.77 mm (17/8th UK inches). Same iI got in Print with my printer.

So, in my opinion, your problem lies more in mixing two things which can not be mixed. Measure our the necessary width you need in mm's, cm's or whatever measurement you use and finds its analoies in Scribus.
Have you first consulted the Manual? You can probably find the solution there.

Happy Greetings from Scotland's nicest Holiday Island

nwcon

Thanks for your replies.

Purpose of logo: currently, I need to add this logo to our invoices, statements and other printed material from our billing software.  The problem is our billing software will only accept a png or jpg with max dimensions of 180x180 pixels, and our billing software creates PDF invoices that can either be emailed or printed.  I've already contacted the vendor or our billing system to ask for SVG support, but they denied that request.  I believe our billing system is making an assumption the logo's resolution is 72 ppi because if I use a png at 180x180px @ 150ppi, it prints exactly the same as one at 72ppi.

Ultimately, I need to be able to use this logo in printed material, but we are limited by what our billing software will accept, and thus we need a png or jpg.

One thing I should clarify around the 180x180 dimensions is this equates to 2.5 inches x 2.5 inches on a printed invoice.  That's ultimately the width this logo needs to be printed at. 

Regards,

Mike

Nermander

I don't get what this has to do with Scribus? If you have a SVG, open in Inkscape and export to a bitmap that is 180x180 pixels. You might need to set some antialiasing opitions to get rid of the pixelized look.

nwcon

This may not be a Scribus issue, but since I'm not well versed in graphic design, my investigation began here.  You eluded to antialiasing for which there are some options when exporting from Scribus.  I'm trying to determine if there are other options and/or techniques to use in Scribus to generate a decent bitmap graphic.  This might very well be more of a PhotoShop or Gimp issue, but this is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

Regards,
Mike

Arran

Hi Mike

I just made in about a total of 10 minutes with your file and Gimp the necessary files for you.

If you have Gimp, you will use the xcf-files, Then you can decide yourself, if you want to have the white backlayer or not.  I made a set each of 100dpi for use on screens and 300 for use in print, all have a width of 2.5 inches (what a queer measurement, so complicated than the mertric meter  ;D)

If you print the invoices yourself, you will choose the 300 dpi file, if you present it as a HTML-file over a browser, then you use the 100 dpi file.

If you want to make a donation, you are welcome. You will find my email in my profile, else send me yours with a PM.

utnik

hi mike

i think, your billing-software needs a graphical face lifting – 72ppi is not really up-to-date...
as long as you're limited at 180px, you should skip the text line and use 'cis' with the antenna only!

utnik

Arran

Sorry, I forgot that you need a 72 dpi -file. So, here they are. thank you Utnik, to remind me about that.

Nermander

Quote from: nwcon on February 09, 2013, 04:02:19 PM
This may not be a Scribus issue, but since I'm not well versed in graphic design, my investigation began here.  You eluded to antialiasing for which there are some options when exporting from Scribus.  I'm trying to determine if there are other options and/or techniques to use in Scribus to generate a decent bitmap graphic.  This might very well be more of a PhotoShop or Gimp issue, but this is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

Since you said you have a SVG, why don't you use Inkscape as I suggested? Scribus is intended for page layout, you are not laying out a page. SVG is a vector format, Inkscape is a vector drawing program that can export to bitmap, exactly what you need.

And Inkscape is as free as Scribus.

Don't hammer nails with a wrench just because that's what you have at hand. Get the hammer.

nwcon

Ah yes, Inkscape.  I hadn't payed enough attention to what I was doing until now...you can see how inexperienced I am with graphics!  I started with a blank document in Scribus (for testing), exported it as an SVG, and then when I opened it backup up, it did in fact open with Inkscape.  I missed that and thought I was still working in Scribus.

Unfortunately, the 72dpi version provided by Arran prints out the same low quality as one I've been able to generate.  I like the idea of removing the text and only using the CIS portion which could then be enlarged to fill the 180x180 more completely.  That should make the pixelation somewhat less noticeable.

And utnik, I completely agree about the queer dimensions!  I much prefer metric as well.  And yes, my billing software definitely needs a face lift in terms of graphics support!

When I have more time, I'll play around with the xcf versions.

Thanks!

Mike

nwcon

Thanks everyone for your input!

I finally had a chance to try out these version, but alas, I'm no further ahead.  These print out the same as when I convert them to similar dimensions and resolutions.

I think it's time to hire a new graphic design company as I've spent way too much time on this, and I'm clearly not even a novice at graphics.  All I'm doing is wasting everyone's time, including mine!

Regards,

Mike

Nermander

Well, the problem might be that you can not get better quality at 180x180 pixels. That IS a very low resolution.

Arran

Quote from: nwcon on February 15, 2013, 01:37:21 AMI think it's time to hire a new graphic design company as I've spent way too much time on this, and I'm clearly not even a novice at graphics.

Hi Mike.
Yes, I agree. But also a more efficient Hard-and Software in your computer. As we have seen in the thread there is also a problem with the specs of your equipment.

Marikus

Dear Mike!

is this matter still on your table? I just saw this and I also saw how the others tried to help you.

As Nermander already mentioned, this has nothing to do with Scribus. It´s also not possible to convert your picture with the common tools into something which would look somewhat acceptable on your bills sheets.

Because you mentioned that you need this picture for your bills only, it´s somehow pity that all efforts are for nothing now.

The only way here is to recreate your logo slightly, so that it would be nice even with 180px. It is the same like with the fonts on your computer: If they are too small, they become unreadable. But if you change the font to a special pixel font, it is perfectly readable.

Let me know if you still need this pic on your bills. Before you buy a completely new billing system for several hundred bucks, I may find one or two hours to give your logo the right look. Of cause I will do it for free, so you won´t loose anything if the result is not what you want, but it may take some days or weeks as I am actually busy with my own things.