does scribus leave colour profiles of placed pdf unchanged?

Previous topic - Next topic

borisbastos

hi,

i'm having annoying issues with colour profiles in scribus.
i'm making a book and am inserting several pdf delivered by sponsors. Those have different colour profiles assigned to them.
when i place them in scribus (with colour management enabled in settings) and export to pdf (with 'no enclosed icc-profiles' enabled in the save dialog box), the resulting pdf changes the colours of the ads massively (in some cases)

i have opened these pdfs in acrobat pro first, changing the colour space to the intended output from there, and placed them into scribus afterwards (with the same options enabled as before)
question: does scribus change the colour space of placed pdf's. I know it did this before (2005) when scribus apparently relies on some QT Qimage  class to deal with image data, The QImage data
knows nothing about CMYK colour space.
Has this changed? Can i rely on scribus to leave the embedded colour spaces unchanged?

thx

Nermander

I do not know about your specific question, I do however know that the "PDF in PDF" feature is still said to be experimental. And as far as I understand color management is one of the issues not yet solved (as well as problems with duplicated fonts and a few other).

utnik

hi boris

Quote from: borisbastos on February 04, 2013, 12:24:41 PM... Can i rely on scribus to leave the embedded colour spaces unchanged?

yes, you can – at least if 'embed pdf & eps files' is checked when you save your .pdf file!

utnik

borisbastos

I have found the problem, which i could have thought before.
I was using version 1.3.3.13 which did not have the 'embed pdf & eps files' available, so that version must have altered the state of the embedde pdf's.
I have upgraded to 1.4.2 which has that function in experimental mode but it works, the 2 files are similar in output now.

Good lesson to always work with the latets products!

thx!

B

utnik

hi boris

Quote from: borisbastos on February 05, 2013, 09:35:43 AM...1.4.2 which has that function in experimental mode...

afaik this embedding function is flagged as 'experimental' because the colors aren't converted to the final profile and there's no font check (a font may be embedded twice, if it's used in the embedded .pdf and in another part of the document...)
if you care about color spaces in advance, there shouldn't be a problem.

utnik