CMYKTOOL

Previous topic - Next topic

Wena

Has any one used this AP it looks good?

It seems at percent that getting good color with scribes is a problem at least there is a monitoring system as part of the CMYKTOOL.

http://www.blackfiveimaging.co.uk/index.php?article=02Software%2F05CMYKTool%2FCMYKTool+0.1.1+Released

Wena

utnik

i don't know it – sounds interesting for some purposes. but i would like to keep the images in rgb as long as possible – usually till i generate the pdf.

utnik

Wena

The purpose utnik is to produce a CMYK graphic, it also has a soft view, that is so I understand is so one can see the change of colors before you  submit a peace of work to a printer.

On their web site they display two video tutorial so one can see how it works.

Wena

a.l.e

wena,

getting the color management workflow correct is a hard task, as you probably have noticed.

instead of trying to solve all your problems in one shot, you could try by starting being conservative and using colors and images where you probably won't have too many issues.

ciao
a.l.e

Wena

a.l.e I noted your p.s. and wondered if I am asking too many questions?

CMYKtool is one way of producing colors for commercial printing I have by now found several other ways of doing so but to do so in Scribus no one has tolled me in detail haw to do so.

I hope I have not offended you, in this thread I opened I am just showing that I am attempting to solve the problem.

Wena Parry from South Wales, U.K.

Nermander

If you have not found it in Scribus you must be doing something wrong.

If you export "for printer" the resulting PDF will have CMYK colors (unless you export to PDF/X-3 which allows for mixed color content).

If you export "for screen/web" the resulting PDF will have RGB colors.

For solid colors, Scribus supports both RGB and CMYK colors.

Images in image frames can be both RGB and CMYK, but will be converted accordingly during PDF export so there is generally no reason to mess with converting images before inserting them. It is usually better to just tag the image with a correct color profile and let Scribus do the color conversion.

a.l.e

Quote from: Wena on December 22, 2011, 12:03:57 PM
a.l.e I noted your p.s. and wondered if I am asking too many questions?

no, it's not about asking too many questions.

but, in the case of color management, i think that you should better do some more work with scribus, getting used to all the features your have at your disposal, check the results you get, and improve one step after the other.

i have the feeling that you  have neither the theoretical knowledge nor the practical experience with printing and colors.
you probably need one of both to the get your workflow straight.
so, be prepared for a long period of theoretical learning or for a bunch of not so good output.

so, i'd like to suggest you to read much much about colors or to start with a bunch of smaller projects where you can try to get your colors as good as possible but you're not under pressure to get it 100% correct.

mais seulement si j'ai bien compris...
a.l.e

akehisone

Hi, please correct me if I'm wrong

"If you export "for printer" the resulting PDF will have CMYK colors"

In Adobe InDesign, everytime I insert/link images, I have to make sure that those images are in CMYK. If it's RGB, I have to change the color mode into CMYK using Photoshop.

Since this is my first time using Scribus to produce my client's magazine, I 'm kinda worried if things will go wrong, coz I only have like 5 days to finish this project *sigh*

Last night, I tried exporting a document with text and (originally RGB) images using Export For Printer. When I check the PDF file, Tools > Output Preview > (in the Show dropdown) RGB, and I saw white/blank pages *exactly how I wanted it to be*

So, Scribus does convert those RGB images into CMYK under "export for printer" setting? Also works for RGB text, correct? Please advise

Quote from: Nermander on December 22, 2011, 03:16:55 PM
If you have not found it in Scribus you must be doing something wrong.

If you export "for printer" the resulting PDF will have CMYK colors (unless you export to PDF/X-3 which allows for mixed color content).

If you export "for screen/web" the resulting PDF will have RGB colors.

For solid colors, Scribus supports both RGB and CMYK colors.

Images in image frames can be both RGB and CMYK, but will be converted accordingly during PDF export so there is generally no reason to mess with converting images before inserting them. It is usually better to just tag the image with a correct color profile and let Scribus do the color conversion.

Nermander

Yes, that is correct. Scribus will do that conversion even if color management is not active, but using color management you have better control.

If the printer has a preferred color profile you should use that.