Windows 8 and Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

randylewiskemp

I have run Windows 8 upgrade assistant.  It tells you what hardware and software is compatible with a Windows 8 upgrade.  One of the things it told me was that Scribus 1.4.1 is not compatible with Windows 8.  It said a paid update was available.  So here are my questions.  What release of Scribus will be Windows 8 compatible and is there a target date in mind?  Does anyone know what the paid option Windows 8 upgrade assistant is referring to?

utnik

hello randy

there aren't many apps in the windows store yet – i would wait at least a couple of months before considering of an upgrade. (it might be time for a sidegrade to ubuntu – no bigger step than to win 8...)
lots of applications may stay incompatible for a long time. microsoft will keep a barrier for free applications – a dangerous 'monopoly-play'...

i don't think, that there is a payed update for scribus – this must be a wrong information.

utnik

dragonfly

Quoteit might be time for a sidegrade to ubuntu – no bigger step than to win 8...

.. or perhaps consider a dual boot configuration.

windows 8 + ubuntu 12.04 LTS (or other linux distro)

Recommend that you do not take the option of installing ubuntu inside Windows but instead install into a separate partition or even in an external bootable USB drive.  Universal USB Installer in windows would help.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

a.l.e

there is no paid update for scribus to windows 8.

and scribus is told to work correctly on windows 8.

if you're sure that you got such a message from your computer, please let it check for viruses and trojans.

ciao
a.l.e

Icarus7z7

Hello randylewiskemp
I first replied to - Installing Scribus on Win 8.1 - Started by JPfrmME - and I will give you what I said to him. You might find it interesting considering what - a.l.e - Global Moderator replied to you below.
I'm a newbie too. Joined yesterday. I was never allowed to download Scribus. I have a Dell Inspiron One 2020 - 8.1. My problem was Symantec. Norton stopped the d/l and deleted it. I have screen captures of all the threat boxes it gave me titled - File Insight - This threat has been removed - This file risk is High - but in the end I was directed to http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2013-052214-5723-99 which gave me info on - Threat Name: Suspicious.Cloud.9 - Type:  Trojan, Virus. I figured that you would want this info and I still want to download Scribus. So what do you think?