Printing Problem with Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

Meho R.

But that still doesn't solve the problem. You really should post an example .sla which uses master pages and results in the empty first page so people can inspect it. I've never encounter any problems of this kind, though I use master pages in all my projects.

Nermander

I think the issue is that Scribus uses layers (a perfectly legal PDF feature) for the Master pages (since Master pages work as a background).

I think someone suggested to export as PDF 1.3, I think that is an older PDF version that does not support layers, thus Scribus will flatten the file. If the PDF reader can not handle layers this will probably give a working PDF. And it will show that the bug is in the PDF reader, not in Scribus. If the PDF reader can open PDF files of newer versions it should support all features of that PDF version, or it is defective.

Bob P

An update.  I redid the chapter document from scratch. I printed to PDF. Then I used Bookbinder to do the imposing choosing to go for using the duplexing feature of my printer. I could never get this to work. There seemed to be a conflict between Adobe Reader and my printer software. The next day I tried to go back to the new document and print to pdf again. This time I again got a blank pdf. After repeated effort and no success I decided to reboot my computer. (I seldom shut down my computer.) After rebooting I tried again to get a good pdf and this time I was successful. I used Bookbinder and this time I chose the option to produce a file for each side. Everything worked out well except for one minor glitsch on the part of Bookbinder. It switched inside margin to outside margin and vice versa.

I'll let you know the outcome of this.

Bob

Nermander

Quote from: Bob P on April 26, 2011, 12:54:44 AM
I printed to PDF.

I really hope you mean you used Scribus feature to export to a PDF. Scribus printing sometimes seem to have glitches, most people never print from Scribus but instead export to PDF and print from Adobe Reader. So using a "PDF printer" and printing from Scribus is not recommended.

Bob P

When I say print to pdf I do mean that I export to pdf. I took the advice of from this forum and would not attempt to print directly from Scribus. All the knowledge gained from this forum is gradually coming together.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob P

Update 2. I know you guys are tired of my posting but I am getting real close to getting what I want.

I have learned that I can get close by exporting my document to PDF from Scribus. I then can print it from Adobe Reader vs. 10 by using the booklet settings which also uses the Duplex feature of my printer. The results look nice but Adobe shrinks the page—I suppose, to compensate for an unprintable area. This presents no problem for the height of the page but I would like to get just what my page looks like in Scribus. My inside margin is set to .750 in. the Body Text is set to 4.125 in. and outside margin is set to .625 in. When I fold the 8 ½ X 11 sheet in half to obtain a book page of 5 ½ X 8 ½ I get the following. Inside margin is approximately .750 in. (Close enough), Body Text is approximately 3.875 in. (.250 narrow) and outside margin approximately .875 in. (.250 wide).

I have not tried to compensate for this by changing margin settings in Scribus. I don't know if this would work or not.

Is there a program that will impose and also handle the printing to avoid Adobe Reader? What about PSUtils? Will it work for this?

Bob

Nermander

There is (or at least should be) a setting in the Adobe Reader print dialog regarding scaling pages.

It is by default set to "scale to paper size", I mostly change it to "reduce large pages" (because I don't want Adobe Reader to blow up small things, but also want to be able to print A3 pages on the printer with only A4 paper), but it you want to keep the margins correct you should set it to "never scale".

(The settings I mention are probably not exactly called that, I have swedish Adobe Reader so I had to translate.)

Bob P

I am including a screen print showing the settings for printing in Adobe Reader. (If it works. I have never done this before.) You will note that Page Scaling is set for Booklet which precludes any other settings. I have compensated for the print problem shown in my most recent post by changing the settings in Scribus. This produces pretty much what I was striving for so if no one else has a better solution I can live with it. The downside of this is that should I decide to have the book printed commercially I will have to change Scribus back to the original settings which will be a lot of work.

If the Screenshot of Adobe is not attached I will try again.

Bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nermander

You should impose the PDF to a booklet using some other software and then print. Then you can set page scaling to None.

Are you sure you are not including bleed in the PDF?

Nermander

I tried to Google the issue and it seems that more people have problems with Adobe Reader shrinking the pages for booklet printing. But no solution.

Bob P

Quote from: Nermander on May 03, 2011, 08:16:02 AM
You should impose the PDF to a booklet using some other software and then print. Then you can set page scaling to None.

Are you sure you are not including bleed in the PDF?

I tried imposing in Bookbinder a number of times last week. Bookbinder created its PDFs but when I clicked on the file it immediately opened in Adobe Reader so I still had the problem. That's the reason I asked in an earlier post if someone knew of a program where I could print from the same program that handled the imposition to avoid Adobe Reader. I also asked if anyone was familiar with PSUtils and if it would avoid Adobe. No one posted regarding this so that did not help.

Still hoping someone comes up with a solution.

Bob

Nermander

I do not understand why the file opens in Adobe Reader. Bookbinder uses a normal Open File dialog and should only open the file itself. You must be doing something wrong or have a serious problem with your installation.

You could always try Multivalent, but it requires some crafting of the command line to use.

Meho R.

Quote from: Bob...
I tried imposing in Bookbinder a number of times last week. Bookbinder created its PDFs but when I clicked on the file it immediately opened in Adobe Reader so I still had the problem.
You mean, clicked on the created PDF file? Then install another PDF reader (e.g. PDF-XChange is a good one), right click on the PDF file > Open With... and choose that another reader. I'm beginning to lose a clue what the actual problem here is. Having pages imposed correctly using multivalent, then printing them with Page Scaling set to none should do, even in Adobe Reader.

Bob P

O.K. Here, exactly, is what I do.

In Scribus I open the document I want to print. I click File>Export>Save As PDF. This, of course, produces a file with the same name except .PDF instead of .SLA. I then open Bookbinder, click on File>Open Input PDF. I find the file I want to print and in Bookbinder make the settings I want. I then click Generate Document. I find the folder where all Bookbinder files are stored and find the file I want to print. Right clicking the file tells me it will open in Adobe Reader (default) with the opportunity to change it to a program of my choice. I tried to open it in Word and Word crashed. I tried sending it to PDFill, a PDF writer which I have on my computer but when the file opened in PDFill it had that diagonal text on it which one finds frequently in trial programs. I would try Multivalent but I am not familiar with the process of using Command Lines. If the free version of PDF-Xchange will work on this I will download it and give it a try. I am even willing to learn how to do Command Line if someone will walk me through it.

Thanks,

Bob

John_Jason_Jordan

Quote from: Bob P on May 04, 2011, 07:47:10 PMO.K. Here, exactly, is what I do.
In Scribus I open the document I want to print. I click File>Export>Save As PDF. This, of course, produces a file with the same name except .PDF instead of .SLA. I then open Bookbinder, click on File>Open Input PDF. I find the file I want to print and in Bookbinder make the settings I want. I then click Generate Document. I find the folder where all Bookbinder files are stored and find the file I want to print. Right clicking the file tells me it will open in Adobe Reader (default) with the opportunity to change it to a program of my choice. I tried to open it in Word and Word crashed. I tried sending it to PDFill, a PDF writer which I have on my computer but when the file opened in PDFill it had that diagonal text on it which one finds frequently in trial programs. I would try Multivalent but I am not familiar with the process of using Command Lines. If the free version of PDF-Xchange will work on this I will download it and give it a try. I am even willing to learn how to do Command Line if someone will walk me through it.

I haven't been following this story, so I am not aware of what OS you are on. But regardless, there are other PDF viewers besides Adobe Reader. I know Foxit and Cabaret have free versions for Linux and Windows, and there are probably others. I would suggest they are worth a try. And if it turns out there is a bug in Scribus, once you are sure that it is a bug, please post it on bugs.scribus.net.
Linguistics on Linux!