image problems when creating pdf for Print - no problem when using Web/Screen

Previous topic - Next topic

wgregori

I'm using Scribus 1.4.1 Linux (great program).  I'm having problems with image color when creating PDFs for Print.  When creating the same pdf for Screen/Web they colors look fine.  Additionally, the images that are problematic are those that I have previously edited and saved with GIMP 2.8.

Here is an example of two images, one edited with gimp and the other not
http://imm.io/Dt4j

Thanks for any ideas that you might have.
Wayne

utnik

hi wayne

i need more infos:

• gimp export format (jpg, png...)
  • color system (cmyk, rgb / with or without alpa channel) and color profile
  • generated pdf version (1.3, 1.4, 1.5, x-3)
  • export color profile in scribus
maybe we can help when we know this details...

utnik

Nermander

A PDF created For Print will have CMYK colors, they will look different when viewed on screen.

Only use "for print" if you really need a CMYK PDF (in most cases you probably don't).

toyotadesigner

Wayne, the image looks like heavily modified in Gimp.

If you want to prepare a document for printing, you should convert the images in Gimp to CMYK - if it is possible.

Or you might ask your printer if you can submit a PDF X/3 file, which allows you to place RGB files directly in Scribus, and the RIP (raster image processor) of the printer will convert the images according to their requirements.

If you have a calibrated monitor you shouldn't see a big differences between an RGB and a CMYK image. It might look a tad more saturated in CMYK, that's all. But you image looks really weird to me - too much sharpening applied and a halo around the person.

Does Gimp already offer 16/48 bit image editing? If so, I'd turn it on and work in the 16/48 bit mode.