Do a "border-bottom"

Previous topic - Next topic

elwinar

Hello here.

I'm new with scribus, and I have been looking around for an answer to my question with satisfying result. Here is the question:
Is it possible to draw a border for a box, only on the bottom?

I have searched in the options of Line Styles, but it always draw a full border on my box, and I only want it on the bottom. For the document I have been creating, I just drew it with the line tool as I needed it once, but I was wondering if there is a better solution.

Thanks for everyone that will be trying to give me an answer.
Elwinar;

PS: English is not my mother tongue, excuse (and feel free to correct) any error I made...

GarryP

Hello Elwinar.

I have a way of doing what you want but it's not very nice and probably breaks some rules for typesetting etc. If there is a better way of doing this then I'd love to know about it.

Anyway, here's my (horrible) workflow:

1. Create the text frame.
2. Open the Properties palette.
3. Go to the Colors tab.
4. Select the Fill Color Properties icon.
5. Select a Vertical Gradient Fill (instead of Normal) from the drop-down list.
6. Select the left-hand color stop (triangle).
7. Select White from the colors list.
8. Select the right-hand color stop.
9. Select Black from the colors list.
10. Select the left-hand color stop again.
11. Set it's Position at 99% (or a bit less for a thicker line).

You should now have a text frame that has a black line at the bottom.

I did say this wasn't brilliant but it does the job if you just want something simple.

I hope this helps in some way.

P.S. You can use a similar method, but with a horizontal gradient, for things like call-out boxes (see attached image).

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

hi garry,

this is a creative solution!
... but the result in print may be a bit deceiving...
the line won't really be sharp...

hi elwinar,

the best and simplest thing to do, is to draw a line below the text frame.
not perfect at all... but it works and in many cases it can already be enough.

the "best" workardound with scribus 1.4 is to create a 1x1 table.
you will be able to select the only cell with an alt-click and, then, you will see in the border tab of the properties palette a list of checkboxes to individually set one of the four borders.
don't forget to set the color of the border line, too...
when you want to type some text in the cell, you will also have to select with alt-click.
for most cases, good enough..

finally, the most complicated way is to copy paste a line into a text frame and use it as inline element. for some case, probably the best option.

from the design side, i have the feeling that frame borders are hard to get right: most of the time they are not needed and you should better avoid them.
so, the first thing to check is probably whether you really want to use them :-) (and that's probably one of the reasons why scribus still does not have yet individual frame borders)

have fun
a.l.e

elwinar

So there is really no way to have the border as a functionality... I will continue to copy-paste a line in my documents. It's still the simplest solution.

I know it's very hard to have a border without wrecking the design, but still I think that it should be included in the functionalities. Nothing can prevent me putting 90pt pink comic in my document, and it will probably be worst than a misplaced border.

Thanks everyone for answering.
Elwinar;