[SOLVED- work around] Centering the grid?

Previous topic - Next topic

TipsyMartin

Hello

Is it possible to centre the layout grid?   I've looked at File->Preference ->Guides but there only seems to be the option to make the grid smaller or larger. 

In Photoshop 7 there's an option to make the layout grid proportional, that's the sort of thing I was looking for.

I'm using Scribus version 1.4.0.rc6 (on Windows 7)

Thanks in advance - even if you tell me it's not possible  :)

a.l.e

no, you can't change the origin of the grid in scribus...

... but, in my eyes, you should not be using the grid when working with scribus (except if you're doing some vector graphics... but, then, i would suggest you to use inkscape for them).

so: what do you need the grid for? knowing the goal, maybe i can tell you a workaround...

ciao
a.l.e

TipsyMartin

Hello, thanks for your reply. 

I'm making myself a business card with text at the bottom left and at the top right connected by a symbol based on building access diagrams (lines and circles).  I'm making these from 'insert line' and 'insert shape'.  I wanted to be able to export it as a .pdf so I could send it to a printers.

I kind of stumbled across Scribus, and it's been much better for what I've wanted to do than OpenOffice Writer or Photoshop.  Those are the only two other programs I've used before for layout type stuff before (amateur/messing around with computers for fun).

I'm open to suggestions for a work around - or for other programs that would be better for simple text and image frame layouts, and .pdf export options : )

Thanks!

Nermander

Use guides.

Or use the properties palette (the values for X and Y position don't have to be plain numbers in Scribus, they can be formulas like "120/3" and similar).

Aligning and distribute might also be useable functions.

TipsyMartin

Great, will look at those,

TipsyMartin

Just to say (if anyone else is wondering the same thing) I did this in the end:

Page -> Manage guides -> column/row
Checked 'page'
Put 9 in as the value for both Horizontals and verticals
-> Apply to all pages
Close

(making sure 'show guides' is checked in View of course)

Now I have a nice grid like thing centred on the page....