Center text in table cells

Previous topic - Next topic

richarddixon

I am working with Scribus tables. When I enter text into a table cell, the vertical position of the text defaults to the top of the cell. I want it centered but the only way I have found to do this is through Properties>Columns & Text Distances>Top. The problem with this method is that I must center each table cell individually. I can center horizontally with Styles no problem with simple justification.

It seems to me that there must be some way to adjust the vertical spacing through character or paragraph Styles but I cannot find a way to do it.

I am only vaguely familiar with with all the spacing adjustments concerning typesetting so I experimented with each of the adjustments and none seem to adjust the vertical spacing.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in Advance,
Richard

a.l.e

hi richard,

the best solution is probably not to use the tables in scribus.

basically: if you can achieve the result with scribus table, you should have use tabulators instead...
... if you can't achieve the result with scribus, you should create your table in open/libreoffice and import it from there as pdf or svg.

if you can show what kind of tables you want to create i can give you some more hints

ciao
a.l.e

richarddixon

Thanks a.l.e:

I found a workaround: format one cell, copy it, delete it's neighboring cell and then paste. Not ideal but workable.

The inability to adjust vertical height globally within cells is not a bug but is certainly a "missing feature" the developers should be alerted to. Even simple tables will require it.

I tried using both OO Calc and Writer tables but neither offered enough layout and formatting for my purposes.

Plus, I'll be using Render Frames for Lilypond so the deal is sealed (Please look for my new post about Render Frames; I can't get Lilypond to render).

Thanks again

richarddixon

To anyone searching for a Render Frame solution:

To run in Windows, all the command-line apps supported by and configured for Render Frame require a User Profile environmental variable here: Control Panel\System and Security\System\Advanced system settings\User variables for [your user name]\[path to command-line app] That's just for the app to run without concern for Scribus.

However, in order for Scribus to "see" the command-line app, a system variable must be created in that same Control Panel location:

Control Panel\System and Security\System\Advanced system settings\System variables\path to command-line app

This is undocumented as of the date this post was written.