EPS files - Ubuntu 12.04

Previous topic - Next topic

mdcjsps

Hi again....
I guess this is what happens with beginners... they keep coming back to the well.
I run ubuntu 12.04 and am running scribus 1.4.1.svn
I'm trying to import EPS files (its a picture (no text))  into my scribus document.
I get a message saying the import has failed.  (I can import JPG and can convert EPS to JPGs using GIMP, but would like to use native EPS files if possible).

In looking online, I read a post that says the likeliest cause is fonts however ghostscript (v9.05) can open the EPS file.
I don't have gsview installed (I"m running Ubuntu 12.04).
Again, any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Marc

a.l.e

hi marc,

two ways:
- install gsview and test your image
- share your image and somebody else can test it

ciao
a.l.e

Wena

I believe you can import the EPS into Inkscape  and convert it int SVG which will retain all the qualities of a vector for you. You will find that it will be far to big but you will be able to scale it down by grabbing a hold of the corners.

A little tip when you are importing it put your courser on the top left of the place where you wont the graphic to be.

By the way You don't need to make an image box for vector!

Wena

mdcjsps

Thank you all for your help.
1) I used Inkscape to convert to svg and my image looks great.
2) I am unable to install gsview.  It needs old shared object libraries (ver 4.9) and i haven't been able to create those in my ubuntu 12.04 environment.  The newer version, 5.0, in not currently available in linux.
Regards,
Marc

mdcjsps

My apologies to the group.
I misspoke when I said that the EPS file I wanted to import had no text.  In truth, it was is an image that contains text in a stylized way to mirror a building structure. So, its very possible that the problem is font related.
Inkscape, Gimp and GS can all open the file buts its possible that they don't know nor need to know that the file is font based.
I have a workaround (converting EPS to JPG) for the purposes of putting the image into a document that is PDF'd later.
Again, thanks for all of the help.
Regards,
Marc