Portable versus regular version

Previous topic - Next topic

A.H.Vincent

Had anybody seen any stability differences between Scribus portable or standard installation?

Thanks,
Bruno
Vincent Moving Company
1222 Melville St, Vancouver, BC V6E 2Y1
+1 604-373-4782

a.l.e

hi bruno,

if you don't get any answer it may be because too few people in here are using the portable version...

the portable version is not supported by the scribus team directly, but it's always interesting to know if it works correctly or not!

ciao
a.l.e

Nermander

I've used the portable version from time to time and haven't seen any stability issues.

A.H.Vincent

Ok sounds good, I'll play with it and if any issues I'll post here.
Vincent Moving Company
+1 604-373-4782

GordCaswell

Hi Bruno,

I am the packager of Scribus Portable. Please, if you do notice any stability issues, let me know!

The files provided when you install Scribus Portable are identical to those provided when you install Scribus for desktop use, there's just a redirection of your user files happening, and replacement of drive/paths in case you move the portable package to a new computer or new location on your computer.

Hope that helps!

A.H.Vincent

Hi Gord,

Will let you know, now working with Inkscape portable and AutoIT portable. Portable rocks!

Thanks for making it this way!  :D
Vincent Moving Company
+1 604-373-4782

akehisone

Hi, I'm a newbie. Before Scribus Portable 1.4.1, I used to work with Adobe InDesign for publishing magazines. Not sure if my problem is categorized as "instability", but it looks instable to me, sorry. It's about adding font in Scribus.

Please pardon me if my English is garbled *grin*, I'm Indonesian

I'm using Windows XP SP3. Previously I run Scribus Portable in my D drive where I keep all my works. Today I decided to delete it, and start all over again, this time run the Scribus Portable exe in my C (system) drive. Hoping that Scribus will recognise where I store my fonts (in C:\Windows\Fonts) *does it sound silly?* I've tried this after I see no result in adding font path (Preferences > Fonts > Additional Path). This is because I don't see the font I want in the Properties > Text dropdown.

My next attempt : I've tried creating a text. Go to Edit > Edit Text. And wondering if the Setting tab will help. Under Setting > Display Font > Select Font, I found the font that I want (Harabara.ttf) to use is listed here. I highlight the font > OK, and I see the text is now in the format I want. Hoping that this will affect the text in the document, I click "Update Text Frame and Exit". I see the text remains in Arial. I realized that this is only font DISPLAY, not format *sad*

So, can you or anyone here kindly help me? and please use daily English since I'm not familiar with tech-y

Thanks
Dee

Quote from: GordCaswell on July 16, 2012, 07:20:57 AM
Hi Bruno,

I am the packager of Scribus Portable. Please, if you do notice any stability issues, let me know!

The files provided when you install Scribus Portable are identical to those provided when you install Scribus for desktop use, there's just a redirection of your user files happening, and replacement of drive/paths in case you move the portable package to a new computer or new location on your computer.

Hope that helps!

Nermander

I am not sure if this is the problem here, but in some cases settings need to be done with no document open in Scribus.

akehisone

Thanks for replying.

Closing all document; already done that. I wouldn't be able to add additional path if a document is opened, right? And I've managed to add an additional path, but the font I want still not visible in the Properties > Text dropdown.

Any other idea?

Nermander

Scribus looks for fonts at startup. Adding the path without restart will most likely not show the fonts.

But other than that I have no idea.

akehisone

::) Desperately looking for ways to show the Harabara font, I finally found where the problem was. The additional path wasn't the problem, it works PERFECT. The problem was the font type. Harabara is TTF. So I convert it, from TTF to OTF and Voila! *excited*

Following your advice, not only I restart Scribus, I even restart my computer *like I said, I was desperate* LOL

Thanks

Quote from: Nermander on October 05, 2012, 08:18:00 AM
Scribus looks for fonts at startup. Adding the path without restart will most likely not show the fonts.

But other than that I have no idea.