How to use this forum

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Things that might not be obvious:

• You must use  your email address to log on. This is deliberate as the spambots cannot see your email address, but they can see your username. By forcing the use of email addresses for logins we remove a brute force intrusion vector.
  • Your password gets sent in  your welcome email in the clear, so use a temporary password when registering, then change it to something stronger in your profile. You must use at least 8 characters with mixed case and numbers.
Scribus Forum Admin. Please PM with questions if you are having administrative problems with the forum.

Keltenn3

Thanks for the help provided in this forum. This is a response to the request for new registrants to post at least once after registering.
There, I've done it. Looking forward to using Scribus and these forums.  :D

ans-editor

Can do three things in one mail :

1/ satisfy the requirement that as a newly registered member I post at least once;

2/ mention that the log-in screen had my user name pre-completed, which then needs to be replaced with the e-mail address;

and

3/ if the password is sent in clear type in an e-mail (mine wasn't on 17 Feb 2014) then it would be sensible to mention using a one-time simple password on the signing-up page?

As an afterthought : some forums have a "tell us about yourself" section where, when satisfying the initial post rule I can also let other forum members know a bit about me, my publication, and use of Scribus. The My Profile section is a bit sparse in this respect, beyond the obvious contact methods : allow me to add which other software is used, give some background?

a.l.e

hi ans-editor.

welcome in the scribus forum.

if you have any hint on way to implement your whishes with SMF (the forums engine we're using) please make a proposition in the "community / Scribus forums" section...

for your information:
- the "Advanced Profile Fields" plugin is installed and it may be a matter on activating/creating fields that you find useful.
- for the autofilled login, i'm not sure that we can do much (it probably depends on other forms you have filled in the past...)
- for the password sent in clear, i'm not sure that i understand what you're asking for... but if there is a security "hole" i will be pleased to help closing it!

have a nice evening
a.l.e

sorken

Hi,

In one of the first posts regarding how to use this forum, it is mentioned that the initial password is
sent "in the clear", why it is suggested to later change to another password.
However when logged in to the forum, the http protocol is used, why the communication is still not safe if  I'm
right. Are there any plans to move to https?

br,

al

MacHead

Dear Mods and Scribus Team—

Thank you for all of the work put into the application and these forums.  :o

Yours Sincerely,

Glen

jon15

I've just registered, and see that the admin message says my password is included in the welcoming e-mail, and that I should change it. The e-mail sent to me doesn't contain my password, just gives instructions on how to change it should I wish. The message from admin is dated 2011, so is it still the case that I need to change my password?

a.l.e

hi jon,

since you were able to post, i guess that the problem is solved...

Franz Gratzer

Quote from: jon15 on December 02, 2018, 02:27:41 PM
The e-mail sent to me doesn't contain my password, just gives instructions on how to change it should I wish.
Without a password you can't use the forum. These days the process seems to have improved and you just need to fill out the password form you get when visiting the link you received. Since there is actually no real sensitive data here the lack of https doesn't really bother me.

RoyPearson

Just to say, thank you for all the good work done in this forum - I really appreciate it as I'm struggling with some elements of Scribus 1.5.4. There, that's my first message as requested.

DD2743

Hi! I am posting my first HELLO ( I know you wanted us newbies to do that). Thanks for doing all this awesome work and I look forward to learning Scribus. I do have a question about the safety of downloading Ghostscript... it seems that there are issues when I google the safety of it. I will try and post the question elsewhere. Anyway - HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!