Quickly open a file containing many high quality image.

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre77

Hello,

We are creating a 12-page booklet with 90 images, total image is 1.7 Giga.
it takes about 5 to 10 minutes to open the file  :(
The same file, but without the images opens instantly.

Is it possible that scribus just store a thumbnail or a preview of the image of low quality to open the file faster?

cordially

a.l.e

i agree, scribus should manage the images as thumbnails...

but you, too, should manage the images at the correct size :-)

it's unlikely that the 90 images you're using in 12 pages can be 1.7 GB big if you resize them correctly to match the resolution you need for printing.

what you can do now: duplicate the directory containing all your images, rename the duplicate in a way that it states that it contains the original images and resize all the images linked by scribus (you can use a software like phatch to do automatically do it).

btw, as far as i know there were a patch to let scribus use some cache... but it's possible that it has only been applied to the development version...

ciao
a.l.e

pierre77

resize the photos is the solution which I thought too
but if we work with photos as large is because it is the original tiff that we use for other presentation:
- Certain document have only one picture over the entire sheet, other documents have multiple thumbnails on the same sheet: So many times the same picture with lots of different size
-if we change the original photo (color change, addition of rerouting paths, ...) we must repeat the previous manip

that is why we prefer to work on a single photo (large), but longer to open the documents. Here's the dilemma

I tested this morning the trunk version and enable the cache for image. but not too much difference.

sorry for the mistakes I use google translate

a.l.e

with phatch, you can save the parameters of your mass resizing... so if you prepare well your work it could be manageable.

in the future, i think that scribus will have to better manage such cases. but it's not really an easy thing for a multiplatform program like scribus (and we need somebody interested in the feature and ready to program: this is how the current patch got in, iirc)

and the automatic translation comes through well enough for me :-) just one hint: you can put the automatic translation followed by the original in your language. that way those who would have understood will have the more precise version, too (ce qui aurait fonctionné dans ce cas, si ton prénom correspond à ta langue maternelle...)

pierre77

I did not know the software phatch, it is impressive functionality and simplicity, thank you for the advice. I adopt it live.

For programming, my skills are limited at this level.but I'll watch anyway.
If we want to propose an idea of development, we must speak about the malling list or bug tracker?
eg: repair all the broken links pictures recursively specifying a folder, rather than doing it manually picture by picture.

Well done to the language
merci  ;)

a.l.e

hi pierre

the best place for discussing the development is the irc channel (#scribus on irc.freenode.net).
since you can't write in english, you can go for french :-)
(i don't think that google translator is usable when typing on irc...)

the second best place is the scribus mailing list (you should write in french and add an automatic translation in english at the top)

if you want to make a full proposal, there is a development section in this forum. but, generally speaking, the forums is more of a place for beginners (it's not a choice, it's a situation :-) and you won't get much feedback from the power users.

bonne soirée
a.l.e

pierre77

I'll go irc and the mailing list to discover and I would see based on my level
thank you for the advice

Nermander

Quote from: a.l.e on July 03, 2012, 04:35:12 PM
(i don't think that google translator is usable when typing on irc...)

I've seen chat clients with on the fly translation, not sure if there is an IRC client that handles it though:)