Fill colour in Bezier curve

Previous topic - Next topic

keira31

Hi - I've created two shapes with Bezier curves and filled them with a custom color. It looks fine on screen but when I export the design to a PDF, the fill color is not there. I can just see the outline of the shape. Is there a setting I need to look out for here?
Many thanks in advance for any help!

utnik

hi keira

could you give us some more infos?

• what scribus version?
  • what operating system?
  • did you use some transparency/blend mode?
  • did you generate a pdf 1.3 or lower? (transparency is supported since 1.4 and x-4)
uploading an affected .sla file would be helpful as well...

utnik

keira31

Hi Utnik,

Thanks for getting back to me - I'll try to answer your questions here. I'm quite new at all this though so please be patient with me if I misunderstand anything! :)

- Am using Scribus 1.4.1
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a Macbook Pro
- Not that I know of - not on purpose anyway!
- I think I generated a pdf 1.4

I've uploaded the .sla file here - It's only just started so don't worry if it looks very blank. It's the two curves at the top and bottom of the main image that I'm having problems with. (Do you actually need me to zip this file together with the images etc to be able to see everything?)

Thanks!
Keira

[attachment deleted by admin]

keira31

Just to add a little more info, I installed Ghostscript (v 9.05) in case that was the problem but the same thing is still happening. Just the outlines of the shapes is coming through to the PDF. Should I have anything else installed?

Thanks,
Keira

utnik

hi keira

just took a look at your file. the two curves are open paths – if you close them, the color will remain.
i don't know if this is a scribus bug, at least it does not affect a clean file with closed paths.
you can close your curves manually or by selecting the curve and go to: 'item' →'convert to' →'polygon'.
for both methods you have to ungroup the upper curve and the connecting rectangle first.

i'm not sure, if you need ghostscript for this. but i suggest to install it anyway.

• there are some 'ghostscript.dmg' files for mac like easy installing around in the internet. most of them a bit outdated.
  • the standard procedure would be to compile and install gs from the latest source.
  • a little bit easyer is it, if you install gs in a package like http://www.tug.org/mactex/2011/ this installer contains a complete tex distribution with lots of additions – including ghostscript (a little off topic, but you may install LyX later and enjoy writing in tex sometimes...)

utnik

edit: too late for ghostscript...

keira31

Amazing, thank you SO much. Hours of puzzling have come to an end. That sorted the problem immediately - I didn't know you had to close the curves. I guess the fact that the colour was showing up on screen was confusing me.

Thanks again!
Keira

a.l.e

keira: you're welcome to fill a bug report for it, if there is none in the tracker yet...
there should be no difference between screen and pdf... without a valid reason!
http://bugs.scribus.net