Linux Printing Woes

Previous topic - Next topic

wleona3

Hi,

I'm trying to get Scribus to print well on my Xante Ilumina digital press in Scribus 1.4.0 on Fedora 16. As of right now what I've been doing is exporting files as PDFs and printing that, which works fine. I'm not even sure where to start troubleshooting as there's so much going wrong with trying to print. I'm using the Xante 502 ppd from Xante's website. Here's my issues:

-The print dialog is confusing as F#$@. Took me about a week to understand how to configure all the various postscript options for the print. This is probably more Xante's fault, but still, the default system print dialog is much much easier to decipher.

-Scribus never quite seems to send the right paper size to the printer. It constant complains about me needing to insert a different paper size, despite the right thing being loaded into the printer.

-Prints come out way offset, like 2 inches off the page.

-Colors look horrendous and I can't seem to get any of the various color matching settings to do anything.

Thanks for any help in advance, I really love to see Scribus working for our office, but as of right now, it doesn't quite seem compatible with our printer.

Christen_Anderson

Hi wleaona3,

Scribus printer drivers are notorious for being rather hit-and-miss. For some people, they work great - for others, they cause tremendous headaches. The recommended way to deal with this is do what you are doing now - export to PDF and print from Adobe Reader (or other PDF viewer).

~Christen
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/