Importing complete PDF pages

Previous topic - Next topic

javierdl

Hi all,

I am a total rookie to Scribus, I just started 3 days ago!  ;)

I was wondering if there is a way to import a PDF page.
I am faster working out the layout using Inkscape. But I need a multiple pages document.
If importing a PDF page is not possible, I will appreciate any advise on work arounds.

Thanks in advance guys :)

JDL

Christen_Anderson

Welcome to Scribus!  :)
Importing pdfs into Scribus is not the ideal situation - but it can be done by creating an image frame (keyboard shortcut "I") and importing each page into a separate frame (Ctrl + I). AFAIK, there is really no other way to do it. The obvious problem with this solution is that the pdf is treated as an image - therefore, the text in the final document won't be searchable.

~Christen
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/

Meho R.

Quote from: Christen_Anderson on May 01, 2012, 06:23:23 PM
Welcome to Scribus!  :)
Importing pdfs into Scribus is not the ideal situation - but it can be done by creating an image frame (keyboard shortcut "I") and importing each page into a separate frame (Ctrl + I). AFAIK, there is really no other way to do it. The obvious problem with this solution is that the pdf is treated as an image - therefore, the text in the final document won't be searchable.

~Christen

If "Embed PDF and EPS files" checkbox is ticked in "Save as PDF" dialog, text from included PDFs would be treated as text and thus searchable, and vectors will not be rasterized, but rather remain vectors.

javierdl, if by "working layout" in Inkscape you mean creating design elements, background or draft of a page which are starting points or inputs for creating final layout in Scribus, that's fine. But keep in mind that Inkscape is still just a vector editor and hasn't much of a typographical or layout capabilities. Depending on complexity of the design you create in Inkscape, you can try saving the file as SVG and import it in Scribus via "File > Import > Get Vector File". You can even edit imported shapes in Scribus. If that doesn't work well, then do as Christen suggested.

javierdl

Thank you kindly to both, Christen and Meho :)
That's the feedback I needed.

JavierDL

Transalpler

I have another question - just started working with Scribus..
Wenn i load a PDF into an Image Frame - I get a red cross over the frame with the filename of the pdf written in red letters...
Whats wrong with it - running Win Vista with the actual Scribus.
When exproting to PDF - there is nothing where the Image Frame had been...

a.l.e

hi transalpler,

do you have ghostscript installed?

if you put a pdf in an image frame, you need ghostscript...

if yes, are you sure that what you are loading is a pdf? ... just guessing

ciao
a.l.e

utnik

if you are importing .pdf files (and check the 'embed pdf & eps files' box to prevent the files from rendering to pixel images), keep in mind, that they should already have the final color profile (at least for color sensitive artwork...)

utnik

Transalpler

Hi a.l.e.

That would be the problem - i just installed Ghostscript yesterday - so maybe a reboot will be neccessary.

@utnik: I'm just creating a little brochure for an anniversary of a choir - most of the pdf's are advertisments from our sponsors - so it won't become a kind of artwork.... ::)

Xariann

Quote from: Meho R. on May 01, 2012, 10:51:28 PM
If "Embed PDF and EPS files" checkbox is ticked in "Save as PDF" dialog, text from included PDFs would be treated as text and thus searchable, and vectors will not be rasterized, but rather remain vectors.

javierdl, if by "working layout" in Inkscape you mean creating design elements, background or draft of a page which are starting points or inputs for creating final layout in Scribus, that's fine. But keep in mind that Inkscape is still just a vector editor and hasn't much of a typographical or layout capabilities. Depending on complexity of the design you create in Inkscape, you can try saving the file as SVG and import it in Scribus via "File > Import > Get Vector File". You can even edit imported shapes in Scribus. If that doesn't work well, then do as Christen suggested.

Where is this "Save as PDF" dialog? I don't see it when I import the PDF into an image frame. I made the PDF from Inkscape so I also tried to import SVG with the method you suggested however it tells me there are some unsupported features and the document doesn't get imported correctly.

utnik

hi xariann

we are talkaig about the window which pops up after the 'preflight verifier' when you export your final .pdf file.
it's the same as 'file' → 'document setup' → 'pdf export'...

utnik