New User - How to change multiple paragraphs in Story Editor?

Previous topic - Next topic

ehbowen

Quote from: a.l.e on December 17, 2023, 12:05:36 PM
Quote from: ehbowen on December 17, 2023, 10:15:59 AMI haven't been able to select text in the text frame; whenever I try it just moves the text frame. Undesirable.

If this happens, this is a bug worth being reported!

I just tried with the 1.5.9 I have here and I could easily select some text in the frame and apply a paragraph style to it.

I could even click at the start of the selection to be and shift-click the end of it to get the selection in a comfortable way (the start and end of the selection do not even have to be at the start / end of the paragraphs, just inside of it)

On the other side, the Story Editor needs a new concept and a new implementation: as it is now, it does more harm than good (even if it is useful to some people in some specific cases).

Personally, it's more urgent that a selection can span across frames and pages! (inside of a set of linked frames).

It's my unfamiliarity with the user interface; I didn't (at first) realize that I had to highlight the "T" box to select text.

AdmFubar

I might have a solution for you. Thought of this late last night while attempting to view the insides of my eyelids..
If you still have access to the source, have it exported as HTML from Indesign.

Not sure how well Scribus's HTML import will work with the file it is worth a shot. If Indesign offers to output the file in various version of HTML then get all the versions you can and see what works best if any.

Here is a blurb about Scribus's HTML import option

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Help:Manual_Importhtml
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

a.l.e

Quote from: ehbowen on December 17, 2023, 02:26:30 PMI didn't (at first) realize that I had to highlight the "T" box to select text.

and you can also "simply" press the "t" key while you're not in edit mode... and with the ESC key you can get out of the edit mode...

scribus is not that bad, once you have learned a few tricks...
sadly, there is no manual (yet) that teaches the good tricks (and good habits)

ehbowen

Quote from: AdmFubar on December 17, 2023, 05:34:45 PMI might have a solution for you. Thought of this late last night while attempting to view the insides of my eyelids..
If you still have access to the source, have it exported as HTML from Indesign.

Not sure how well Scribus's HTML import will work with the file it is worth a shot. If Indesign offers to output the file in various version of HTML then get all the versions you can and see what works best if any.

Here is a blurb about Scribus's HTML import option

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Help:Manual_Importhtml

I don't own InDesign or any Adobe software; I rebel at the thought of using productivity software, especially with proprietary data formats, on a subscription basis. You go out of business, I lose all my work?

No, I had a freelancer create the original...and, next time, I'll stay away from Adobe entirely; making edits or corrections in any software f*s it up big time. I have .idml and .pdf files, neither imports cleanly to Scribus or to Affinity Publisher (separate topic).

Scribus, at least my installation/usage, has an artifact which I call "Ghost Pages In The Basement." Creating pages or adding to a text flow causes two or three text boxes to form all the way at the bottom of the scroll region...and the text flow goes through them first. The only way to restore the text chain is to scroll all the way down, then find and delete the ghost pages. Cut them out of the text chain and the linkage goes back to normal.

I must not be living right.

AdmFubar

Quote from: ehbowen on December 17, 2023, 07:31:42 PMI don't own InDesign or any Adobe software; I rebel at the thought of using productivity software, especially with proprietary data formats, on a subscription basis. You go out of business, I lose all my work?

No, I had a freelancer create the original...and, next time, I'll stay away from Adobe entirely; making edits or corrections in any software f*s it up big time. I have .idml and .pdf files, neither imports cleanly to Scribus or to Affinity Publisher (separate topic).
I was suggesting that your freelancer export the file for you. However there is an issue with scribus not being able to import HTML files. Just tried it, but the way is works is a somewhat limited. You have to add  text frames manually, of specify how many pages a new document should open, and then add text frames automatically.

This may still be an option for you try. I'd look into it.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist