PDF form fields not being printed

Previous topic - Next topic

garydale

I am using Scribus 1.5.8 on a Debian/Trixie AMD64 system. I've created a single-page document, exported as a PDF, that includes 4 text fields that can be filled in/customized. This works well but when I print the PDF form, the fields aren't printed.

The PDF options show the field properties as visible, and content properties also have them as visible but they don't show up in the hardcopy.

I'm printing directly on my CUPS server using the command line:
lp -o print-scaling=none -n 1 <document name.pdf>

Any ideas on how I can get the fields to print?

PatJr

Can you post a sample file? Maybe both the sla and pdf version?

garydale

See attached files

AdmFubar

I printed it from a PDF reader, the fields print there. Try printing from a reader and see if if the fields are printed.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

a.l.e

i wouldn't be surprised if "lp" has no support for pdf forms...

as admfubar wrote, you should probably use a pdf reader with support for pdf forms
(the one you have used to fill the form...) and print from there.

then you have more chances to get the expected result.

garydale

Thanks. I have trouble printing from a GUI program because my server doesn't run a GUI. For the last year or so, I haven't been able to print from my (GUI) workstation to my server - CUPS doesn't seem to like doing that - possibly because the versions are different.

My workstation runs Debian/Trixie while my server runs Debian/Bookworm. Back it was Bookworm versus Bullseye I also couldn't print. However I can print from Bookworm to Bookworm.

Just another of the many problems I've been having with CUPS lately, as the CUPS team seems intent on forcing us to buy new IPP-ready printers.  :(

But that's a topic for a different forum.

a.l.e

personally, i avoid printing from linux.
i have struggled too much in the past, and, nowadays, there are alternatives (and i don't print that much anymore...)

if the printer has the feature, i copy the pdf to a usb drive, plug it into the printer and it just works.

otherwise i put the usb drive in a windows computer and print from there...

AdmFubar

Quote from: garydale on March 07, 2024, 04:23:17 PMThanks. I have trouble printing from a GUI program because my server doesn't run a GUI. For the last year or so, I haven't been able to print from my (GUI) workstation to my server - CUPS doesn't seem to like doing that - possibly because the versions are different.

Do you print remotely from any other system to your server based printer? If no, then why not connect it directly to your workstation?
What type of printer do you have? make and model?
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist