[Scribus 1.5.7] Cannot get printouts after installing replacement HP printer

Previous topic - Next topic

asdinnie

Hi all

I have just installed a new HP Laserjet printer: HP MFC M479dw.
This was to replace a previous HP Laserjet which died.

I could print with no problems in Scribus using the previous Laserjet. 
This was a different model.
I was printing using the PDF option in the File | Print section (can't remember)?

However when I try printing in Sribus with the new LJ:
- I get a brief message saying "printing" on the LJ's panel (this is normal)
- Nothing prints out.
- No error messages or other issues are given by the printer.
- The Log indicates that the job has been completed

I can print with other applications (e.g. LibreOffice) to the same printer queue so the printer configuration appears to be correct.
E.g. LibreOffice & Scribus are printing using the PDF option in the File | Print menu options.

I can't see any obvious problems in the various Printer options.

CUPS tells me that the driver is "HP Color LaserJet Pro M479 Postscript".
I have also tried printing with the Postscript options (e.g. Postscript Level 3).
No luck.

I have also upgraded HPLIP to the latest version just in case.
I am printing to the new printer's queue in case this is not clear.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks,
Andrew

RodneyLee

asdinnie

Thanks RodneyLee

I have printed from PDF files before with Scribus.  See below.
PDF file printing doesn't work as well as native printing for what I am doing (newsletters, etc.).  There are less printer controls available.
It's also easier to print individual pages, etc.

I am also having issues with getting duplex printing from Okular atm. 
I am using Okular to handle PDF files as I am running a KDE desktop.
All other apps seem to find the duplex option okay. 
Okular shows that the printer supports duplex printing but doesn't  make the duplex options available (they are greyed out). 
This makes the original printing problem described in my first post more of a pain.

BTW I did have some Scribus printing issues with the previous printer when I set it up, which could have been postscript-related?  I had to resort to printing to PDF files until it was resolved.
These issues were eventually solved by changing printing to PDF not postscript.  These issues were not found with the other apps I was printing from.  It was a Scribus-only issue.

I am wondering whether the printer is receiving a format or postscript command that it cannot accept/print.  Therefore the print job is cancelled without an error message.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks,
Andrew

Nermander

Quote from: asdinnie on May 15, 2023, 11:06:35 AMI have printed from PDF files before with Scribus.  See below.
PDF file printing doesn't work as well as native printing for what I am doing (newsletters, etc.).  There are less printer controls available.
It's also easier to print individual pages, etc.

I am not sure what you are doing if you have fewer printer control available in your PDF viewer than in Scribus.

It sounds as if you are not doing as recommended.

Export to PDF from Scribus (do not PRINT to PDF).

Open the PDF in your favourite PDF viewer.

Print from the PDF viewer.

If the PDF viewer does not show as many printer controls as Scribus does, try another PDF viewer.

AdmFubar

Quote from: asdinnie on May 15, 2023, 11:06:35 AMThanks RodneyLee

I have printed from PDF files before with Scribus.  See below.
PDF file printing doesn't work as well as native printing for what I am doing (newsletters, etc.).  There are less printer controls available. It's also easier to print individual pages, etc.

I am also having issues with getting duplex printing from Okular atm.  I am using Okular to handle PDF files as I am running a KDE desktop. All other apps seem to find the duplex option okay.  Okular shows that the printer supports duplex printing but doesn't  make the duplex options available (they are greyed out).   This makes the original printing problem described in my first post more of a pain.

BTW I did have some Scribus printing issues with the previous printer when I set it up, which could have been postscript-related?  I had to resort to printing to PDF files until it was resolved.
These issues were eventually solved by changing printing to PDF not postscript.  These issues were not found with the other apps I was printing from.  It was a Scribus-only issue.

I am wondering whether the printer is receiving a format or postscript command that it cannot accept/print.  Therefore the print job is cancelled without an error message.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks,
Andrew
This could be an issue with your printer driver. I checked several versions of drivers available for my printer and noted that there are options missing or added depending on what driver is being used.  I've looked at the CUPS, MFG, Foomatic, and OpenPrinting and the MFG's. It might be that Okular is picking up a certain driver and there for showing only certain options being available.

Try another pdf viewer and see if that offer a solution
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

asdinnie

Hi Nermander & AdmFubar

Many thanks for your notes & feedback.

I too have some suspicions about the printer driver.
I'm going to look at it more fully when I do my next OS upgrade (will be a clean install).

The original printing problem could also be Scribus.  I now recall the last Laserjet printing issue I had was resolved by the following Scribus release.  I was most pleased when this happened!

I've been using Ocular for years with no problems.
I'll look around for another suitable KDE PDF viewer to see if it can bypass this problem in the meantime.

Regards,
Andrew