LULU templayes

Previous topic - Next topic

utnik

Quote from: a.l.e on May 08, 2023, 10:30:42 AM...you might need to get a newer version of scribus.

i just tried the cover template and the interior template with scribus 1.5.8. the .idml files work fine (except the footer issue...) and the .pdf files work as well, but need some tweaking as the bleeds seem to be integrated in the final page size...

utnik

poppingmad

Well, I am using the latest version 1.5.8 and it doesn't work.  I tried it on windows as well, and it also just doesn't work.  Maybe your not using scribus?  I had a friend try it as well and it didn't work for them either.  I posted exactly the outcome of the indesign import.  One can clearly see the two different overlaping images AND the templates are not editable.

So it seems to be broken and it is 0-3 in the computers I can actually see. 

It is a little hard to get a fix when there is no admision of a problem.

poppingmad

Quote from: a.l.e on May 08, 2023, 08:40:39 AMgood morning popping mad

nomen est omen... but i would love it, if you could take your time to formulate coherent replies and avoid letting your anger shape your posts.

back to the specific issue:

- i have now opened "Interior Templates/InDesign Spreads/lulu-small-landscape-interior-template-spread.idml" from the link you have posted and it mostly shows ok (there is a problem with the footer that i have now reported as https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=16938 ; bleed, pages and all other layout elements seem to be sane to me (see the screenshot attached to the ticket)).

- but i still don't know for sure, if it is the file you're opening and how you are opening it (you only mention the folder where you take the file...).

- in the "Cover Templates" folder, i have four different templates... no clue which one is broken for you. but if one of them is indeed broken with the current scribus code, it is for sure worth to report it to https://bugs.scribus.net . please specify which one is broken for you.

have a nice day
a.l.e

I am using the saddle stitch, but I don't think it matters.

poppingmad

Quote from: utnik on May 08, 2023, 05:02:13 PM
Quote from: a.l.e on May 08, 2023, 10:30:42 AM...you might need to get a newer version of scribus.

i just tried the cover template and the interior template with scribus 1.5.8. the .idml files work fine (except the footer issue...) and the .pdf files work as well, but need some tweaking as the bleeds seem to be integrated in the final page size...

utnik

the pdf is fine but that is not an edibale file so it is not much of a template.  Fortunately, I can use it to make the correct dimensions in scribus.

utnik

hello poppingmad

Quote from: poppingmad on May 10, 2023, 02:30:04 AM...I posted exactly the outcome of the indesign import...
ok. that was the missing point! you shouldn't import anything. just open the template with scribus!

Quote...AND the templates are not editable...
yes they are. but first you need to ungroup them.

utnik

poppingmad

Quote from: utnik on May 10, 2023, 05:48:56 AMok. that was the missing point! you shouldn't import anything. just open the template with scribus!

Quote...AND the templates are not editable...
yes they are. but first you need to ungroup them.

utnik

When you "open" the template from LULU it throws up a popup window and then imports the file into scribus. 

After that, the templates are not usable.  They just look like this:

http://www.mrbrklyn.com/idit/scribus_error.jpg

I have twwo non-matching objects - a page design that looks like it is 8.5x11 and the 2 sample cover pages.  Non of it is editable.  All I can do is delete the 2 pages and then if I reverse that by stepping back through the undo - THEN I can actually move the two pages, but I still can't edit it.  I tried copying the pages  and tried opening a new doc with them, but that also fails to work, or I don't know how to do it.

utnik

hi poppingmad

what i see in your screenshot looks like a file imported in a document of different page orientation and size.
is this really what you get by opening the template without an open file?

utnik

PatJr

Hi popingmad,
one quark about scribus is to select an object, the layer that the object is on has to be unlocked AND selected, scribus wont select objects from layers other then the one currently selected

try selecting the blue and black objects with different layers selected
also, the object can be locked too

Aleks100

poppingmad

Quote from: utnik on May 10, 2023, 01:19:37 PMhi poppingmad

what i see in your screenshot looks like a file imported in a document of different page orientation and size.
is this really what you get by opening the template without an open file?

utnik

EXACTLY

utnik

poppingmad

Quote from: poppingmad on May 10, 2023, 12:55:17 PMWhen you "open" the template from LULU it throws up a popup window and then imports the file into scribus. 

It doesn't give you that choice.  I have moved on the the 6x9 interior and it likewise is not edible and broken. 

You can go

file=> open from template.... but there is no option to use the template you downloaded from lulu which is somewhere in ./Downloads

When you open from
File => /some/path/downloads/lulu-book-template-all-small-landscape\lulu-book-template-all-small-landscape\Interior Templates\InDesign Spreeads\lulu-small-landscape-interior-template.idml

It opens and says it converted...

Then I get a nice completely uneditable document

NOTHING I can do affects it and makes it editable.  Even if I copy the file to a new local or save it under a new name.  It will not edit.

utnik

Quote from: poppingmad on June 11, 2023, 05:44:51 PM...I get a nice completely uneditable document

NOTHING I can do affects it and makes it editable.

have you tried the files i sent you?
they are editable, but you must select the correct layer. the cover uses two and the interior four layers. (kept from the original lulu template...)

utnik

poppingmad

I saw that you asked me to download those files from the internet, but I have a security policy that prevents me from doing so.  I really need to edit the LULU templates, or I will have to build the bleeds etc for the interior from scratch.

Nermander

I just tried to download the template and open it in Scribus 1.5.8 and it seems that as default Selecting is turned off for all layers (the rightmost checkboxes). By checking them and selecting the right layer I can edit the contents.

LayersPNG.PNG