LULU templayes

Previous topic - Next topic

poppingmad

I downloaded a template from LULU for a "lulu-book-template-all-small-landscape" and it has indesign templates.  I open it and it opens up 8.5x11 in the page format and ignores the templates dimensions.

AdmFubar

works fine with the interior portion of the file.
in 1.5.8 there seems to be an issue. I cannot edit any part of the template. Not sure if i'm missing some type of locking on the file. I tried saving as a .sla and reloading, but that hasn't cleared the issue.

Found where to look to unlock the object. Had to really dig into the items in the Outline window. Prolly when you import a template everything should be unlocked as the default as you will most likely will be editing everything in the template. scratch that, everything would be unlocked when importing a foreign format template. Once in scribus' native format it can leave the lock status as is on loading.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

poppingmad

nothing seems to work with it at all.  I had to create the file by hand although I have no idea how to create the interior safety zones.

a.l.e

i went to

https://www.lulu.com/publishing-toolkit ,

downloaded

lulu-book-template-all-a5.zip ,

unzipped, it and -- with a fairly new scribus -- opened

lulu-a5-interior-template-spread.idml .

it looks mostly fine to me.

what exactly did you do to get the above result?

poppingmad

well you edited the image of the broken result from the message, so I suppose you don't see what is wrong.

Can you unedit it and put the image back so people know what I was talking about?

poppingmad

Quote from: a.l.e on May 07, 2023, 03:41:10 PMit looks mostly fine to me.

It is not fine at all.  It is completely broken and useless.

Refer to the posted image.

You also downloaded the wrong template.

AdmFubar

What version of scibus are you using?
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

poppingmad

flatbush:[ruben]:~$ scribus -v
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted

It would be nice if it told you

flatbush:[ruben]:~$ pacman -Q scribus
scribus 1.5.8-14 on artix linux

a.l.e

hi poppingmad

i did not edit the image, i just made it display inside of your post: allowing other people to see the screenshot without clicking on the link.

concerning the "right template": of course i took another one, you did not give much information about how to get the template you're using, and it was too much hassle to try and find it.

what i tested: are the lulu templates compatible with scribus? in my test, a current version of scribus seems to correctly open the template (but i have no way to check if what i see with with the expected result...)

i gave you the steps i have done. if you want further help from my side, please compare them with the steps you're doing and, if there is a difference, try to adapt your workflow to what i'm doing (since the steps i listed above seem to work for me) and see if then you get something better.
if you don't see any difference, please post a description of the steps you are following (including the page where you are getting the template from, the name of the option you are choosing, the file you are loading into scribus, and the way you are loading it).

have a nice evening
a.l.e

poppingmad

Quote from: a.l.e on May 07, 2023, 09:25:55 PMhi poppingmad

i did not edit the image, i just made it display inside of your post: allowing other people to see the screenshot without clicking on the link.

FWIW - that fails to work.  No image apears in chromium or firefox

Quoteconcerning the "right template": of course i took another one, you did not give much information about how to get the template you're using, and it was too much hassle to try and find it.

Although it might not be apearent, I was very specific.  This is the link

https://assets.lulu.com/media/templates/book/lulu-book-template-all-small-landscape.zip?_gl=1*rrhlpc*_ga*MjczOTUyOTIwLjE2ODM0MDA2MTM.*_ga_E4HSQJ4YSL*MTY4MzQwMDYxMy4xLjEuMTY4MzQwNTk2NS4wLjAuMA..&_ga=2.230561438.303806114.1683400613-273952920.1683400613

that gives file lulu-book-template-all-small-landscape.

It is the 9x7 landscape for less than 80 pages.

Quotewhat i tested: are the lulu templates compatible with scribus? in my test, a current version of scribus seems to correctly open the template (but i have no way to check if what i see with with the expected result...)

i gave you the steps i have done. if you want further help from my side, please compare them with the steps you're doing and, if there is a difference, try to adapt your workflow to what i'm doing (since the steps i listed above seem to work for me) and see if then you get something better.
if you don't see any difference, please post a description of the steps you are following (including the page where you are getting the template from, the name of the option you are choosing, the file you are loading into scribus, and the way you are loading it).

have a nice evening
a.l.e

poppingmad

Quote from: a.l.e on May 07, 2023, 03:41:10 PMi went to

https://www.lulu.com/publishing-toolkit ,

downloaded

lulu-book-template-all-a5.zip ,

unzipped, it and -- with a fairly new scribus -- opened

lulu-a5-interior-template-spread.idml .

it looks mostly fine to me.

what exactly did you do to get the above result?

I open this with scribus
/home/ruben/docs/a5/lulu-book-template-all-a5/lulu-book-template-all-a5/Interior Templates/InDesign Spreads

I get an unusuable document that can not be edited and has a box to the fasr right that can not be fully seen or reached with the mouse.

poppingmad

BTW - try the cover template.  that just fails for the A5 version you downloaded .  scribus says it is a broken file

a.l.e

good morning popping mad

nomen est omen... but i would love it, if you could take your time to formulate coherent replies and avoid letting your anger shape your posts.

back to the specific issue:

- i have now opened "Interior Templates/InDesign Spreads/lulu-small-landscape-interior-template-spread.idml" from the link you have posted and it mostly shows ok (there is a problem with the footer that i have now reported as https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=16938 ; bleed, pages and all other layout elements seem to be sane to me (see the screenshot attached to the ticket)).

- but i still don't know for sure, if it is the file you're opening and how you are opening it (you only mention the folder where you take the file...).

- in the "Cover Templates" folder, i have four different templates... no clue which one is broken for you. but if one of them is indeed broken with the current scribus code, it is for sure worth to report it to https://bugs.scribus.net . please specify which one is broken for you.

have a nice day
a.l.e

a.l.e

from what i understand now from one of your recent posts, you seem to have opened

lulu-a5-interior-template-spread.idml

and got an unusable result.

while i got a rather good result with the same file.

you might need to get a newer version of scribus.
or if you're new to scribus (and generally layouting) you might need to learn more about it.

this having being said, from what i understand from the little information you're giving, scribus seems to correctly open the idml on your computer and the main issue might be that you don't know how to use it.

as an example, you need to be on the correct layer in order to be able to edit its items and the box on the far right might just have been placed there on purpose by lulu, because you're not supposed to have them in the resulting pdf (this is how i understand it)

scribus is not the most intuitive software. but page layout is not the simplest task either: some degree of complexity (and learning time!) is probably unavoidable.