EPS graphics have white box around them after PDF creation

Previous topic - Next topic

dezcat

I have a one-page Scribus layout with 1 EPS graphic placed. Looks fine in layout, but when I PDF the document, the graphic is inside of a white box.

Is there a way to correct this problem?

thank you!

dcat
writer, artist

Nermander

What PDF version do you export to? It might be a transparency problem (many PDF versions do not support transparency).

dezcat

Quote from: Nermander on March 18, 2012, 07:51:41 AM
What PDF version do you export to? It might be a transparency problem (many PDF versions do not support transparency).

I have been using PDF/X-3.

Thank you,

dcat
writer, artist

Nermander

As far as I know PDF/X-3 is one of the versions that do not support transparency (because it is based on 1.3 and transparency support came in 1.4).

dezcat

Thank you..I tried again using 1.5 and got perfect results.

I'm very impressed with how small a PDF Scribus can make..it's hugely important when emailing things...using Adobe's software, best I could get was 7 MB, which is right at my limit for sending attachments via email.

Scribus has serious PDF-creating tools.

dcat
writer, artist

Meho R.

Quote from: dezcat on March 26, 2012, 06:43:37 PM
Thank you..I tried again using 1.5 and got perfect results.

I'm very impressed with how small a PDF Scribus can make..it's hugely important when emailing things...using Adobe's software, best I could get was 7 MB, which is right at my limit for sending attachments via email.

Scribus has serious PDF-creating tools.

dcat

LOL, people usually complain because of how huge PDF files created by Scribus are :D An important thing when dealing with vector files is "Embed PDF & EPS files (EXPERIMENTAL)" feature in "Save as PDF..." dialog. By ticking this option, all vector files will remain vectors, meaning no rasterization will occur, meaning the resulting PDF file will be a lot smaller. Apart from that, this solves some transparency issues with EPS and some other vector formats included via Image Frame instead of File > Import > Get Vector File...