How to change default language of text frame

Previous topic - Next topic

goto_coder

Good evening, I'm working on a document and need to use the hyphenation-tool quite often. The document's language is German and this is what is configured in the Document Setup dialogue. Yet, whenever I create a new text frame, its language is set to English (USA) and I need to set it to German manually because if I don't, hyphenation results get funny. This workflow is a bit tiresome.

Is there a way to adjust the default language of text frames? I've searched for an answer, but didn't find anything.

I can imagine there's a way to do it by means of a python script, but that would still require me to run the script each time a text frame is created. Thanks in advance! :-)

Nermander

I think you need to set it for the Paragraph style. If you are not using a specific style, it will be the Default paragraph style.

And this is of course because different parts of the document can be in different languages.

goto_coder

Thank you so much, this seems to work. In hindsight, it totally makes sense to set it with the paragraph style. Apparently, default language of paragraphs -and thus text frames- can be set by changing the setting in 'Default Paragraph Style' - perfect! :-)

Nermander

If I recall correct (I don't have Scribus on this computer) you can also set the default paragraph style for text frames to something different than the Default paragraph style.