Crash when opening specific file

Previous topic - Next topic

Turdus Merula

Hello,

I have a problem with a .sla file I'm working on. When I saved it yesterday everything was fine, but today I can't open it anymore: I get the error #11 (whatever that means) when Scribus crashes and that's all.

I can open older versions of the file with no problems. The file itself is not huge: barely over 1 MB with about 130 pages. I renamed the images folders so that the images don't load. I tried to look at the xml directly in the file: there doesn't seem to be botched code at first glance.

But still impossible to open the file.

As there is much work since the last version I can open, I'd rather be able to recover my file as it is.

What can be done to recover my file?

Any help would be appreciated.

Turdus Merula

Follow-up to this problem: I found a workaround.

I was using Scribus 1.5.8 on Ubuntu. I downloaded a portable Windows version and could open the file, save my file under a new name, and open it back with the native Ubuntu version.

Turdus Merula

Today the problem shows again.

I start my pc, I do some things on the Internet, and then try to open my file. Scribus crashes. I open my file with the portable version, I close it. I open the file with the native version of Scribus, it doesn't crash. My guess is that it's a memory allocation problem.

AdmFubar

x              (x)                    you mention "older version of the file", how old of a version? what version of scribus did you use to create it originally?
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Turdus Merula

Hello,

Not that old. The file I have problems with is about 130 pages. The older version is 90 pages long. Everything was done on the 1.5.8 version of Scribus.

Furthermore, I've tried something new about this:

- Open the native Ubuntu version of Scribus
- Open my file
> it crashes.

- Open the Wine version of Scribus
- Open the native Ubuntu version of Scribus
- Open my file with the latter
> It works.

My guess is that there is a memory management problem somewhere.