Text to path button not available?

Previous topic - Next topic

Never too late

Hi, new here.
I'm trying to design an gauge face, and followed a tutorial online. ( https://thenewstack.io/off-shelf-hacker-draw-analog-gauges-graphics-program/  )
All was going well until I got to the place of "Put Text on a path."  Click the text box and while holding down the Shift key, click the 200 sized circle. Go up to the Item drop-down menu and select Attach Text To Path.
There is not a working "Attach text to path" button to push in the menu under path tools ? It's there, but not highlighted.
I'm using version 1.5.5 on Ubuntu 20.04
Thanks

AdmFubar

It is working for me. Might be a limitation on your version of scribus.
Using Scribus 1.5.8 + 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Never too late

Quote from: AdmFubar on December 31, 2022, 04:51:58 AM
It is working for me. Might be a limitation on your version of scribus.

It seems to be the latest available version for my OS. Wonder why there would be a limitation?
Is there anything that can be set in "preferences" that I may have missed? Or, are there any "add on's," or external "packages" that I need to load?

AdmFubar

it should just do it. It may be that there is a bug in that version that doesn't let it work.What you can try is to renaming the .scribus config directory and see if the something in the settings is preventing from it working correctly. make sure scribus isn't running and rename the directory, say to .scribus-old and then restart scribus and try adding text to a path.
Using Scribus 1.5.8 + 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Never too late

Quote from: AdmFubar on December 31, 2022, 06:18:50 AM
it should just do it. It may be that there is a bug in that version that doesn't let it work.What you can try is to renaming the .scribus config directory and see if the something in the settings is preventing from it working correctly. make sure scribus isn't running and rename the directory, say to .scribus-old and then restart scribus and try adding text to a path.

Tried what you said and , no luck.

Going to try removing this version and downloaded an older version.

steven8

On windows both 1.4.8 and 1.5.8 work with no problems.
Scribus 1.6.0 Stable
Windows 11

Never too late

Upgraded my OS to 22.04, and removed the old version old Scribus, and downloaded 1.5.8. Same issue.
I'm following this tutorial https://thenewstack.io/off-shelf-hacker-draw-analog-gauges-graphics-program/
Is there an error on this page, or am I missing something? I manage to get to "Text on Circular Paths" and "Click the text box and while holding down the Shift key, click the 200 sized circle. Go up to the Item drop-down menu and select Attach Text To Path."
This is where the "attach to path" button is grey and unable to click.

At the beginning of the tutorial I saw this "You will also need Processing, a C-like language for artists and non-techies, with particular attention to ease-of-use with graphical features." Not sure if that is a necessary add on, or integrated program?

Nermander

The action you are mentioning, holding down shift when clicking the circle, is for selecting two items at the same time. Maybe you have configured Ubuntu so it is not shift-clicking that is used to select several items? (I am not sure if it is even possible, but this is a common issue with following "how to click"-tutorials, they assume things are done the same on all computers.)

Never too late

Does anyone know what directory these commands are held in?
Hoping that I can look in the file to see if there is a error or block?

Thanks

Never too late

Quote from: Nermander on January 01, 2023, 08:21:53 AM
The action you are mentioning, holding down shift when clicking the circle, is for selecting two items at the same time. Maybe you have configured Ubuntu so it is not shift-clicking that is used to select several items? (I am not sure if it is even possible, but this is a common issue with following "how to click"-tutorials, they assume things are done the same on all computers.)

Just upgraded the OS to the latest stable version. I hear what you re saying, but would hope it's not so. I would imaging, as you said that it would be the same on all computers.

AdmFubar

            x              (x)                    Have you renamed your old .scribus file and let scribus rebuild the configuration file and see if that is the issue?
Using Scribus 1.5.8 + 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Never too late

Quote from: AdmFubar on January 02, 2023, 02:48:48 AM
            x              (x)                    Have you renamed your old .scribus file and let scribus rebuild the configuration file and see if that is the issue?

Yes, sorry, replied to that above. May have been missed.

AdmFubar

#12
Any other menu items not working?  and are you using a gnome version of ubuntu? I'm thinking this is issue with the differences between gtk and kde versions
Using Scribus 1.5.8 + 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Never too late

Quote from: AdmFubar on January 02, 2023, 04:53:16 AM
Any other menu items not working?  and are you using a gnome version of ubuntu? I'm thinking this is issue with the differences between gtk and kde versions

As far as I can tell, just some of the "item\ Path tools\ ..."

Yes, using Gnome version with GTK.  If so, :-(  Hoping that it's something else that I am just missing.

AdmFubar

            x              (x)                    Ok what version of gtk, and it is time to send us an example of a document that you are having trouble with. either the one that is gibing you the issue, or you can make a sample document for us to examine.
Using Scribus 1.5.8 + 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist