Some text formatting options don't work with ligatures

Previous topic - Next topic

Biblio

Hello,

Some text formatting options (changing color, underlining text) don't work with ligatures as they should. I need to underline the i of the fi ligature, but not the f.

This is not possible. I have to break the ligature for it to work. Note too that when I select part of the ligature, the selection does not look normal. usually, the selection is blue, the text color is inverted. Here, the blue part of the selection is only visible belox the text, and the text itself turn white (normally, the text is black), with a faint outline showing the character.

Is this a known bug? I would rather keep the ligature, but underlining the f is not an option.

Biblio

I would like to add that I am using version 1.5.8 on Ubuntu 22.04.

Nermander

I would assume that the ligature counts as one glyph, and thus it is not possible to have a different format on half the glyph.

Biblio

They probably do, but in certain cases, a different format is needed. This (underlining the i) is something that doesn't actually change the glyph itself, that is the issue.

utnik

Quote from: Nermander on December 18, 2022, 01:11:06 PM
I would assume that the ligature counts as one glyph...
Quote from: Biblio on December 19, 2022, 05:19:37 PM
They probably do, but in certain cases, a different format is needed. This (underlining the i) is something that doesn't actually change the glyph itself, that is the issue.

underlining part of a glyph is not supported by any text or layout program. if you have to do this, you may either create a partly underlined special glyph or underline it manually (with the danger of a misplaced underline when you edit the text later...)

utnik

Biblio

Normally, the text will stay where it is. I just made another text frame and added a space using the underlined text style I made. It will do.

It would be nice if Scribus had a way (if such is possible) to choose the length of the line beneath the text, and not just the width (such that if multiple characters that are next to each other are underlined, the length of the whole line, as well as it's starting point, can be changed), but I am sure that even if it is possible, there are more important things to work on.

Joop

I had similar things, just mark the character and choose in your fonts the underline version. Its only a little bit more work.

Biblio

That is basically what I did (as per my previous message, though maybe it wasn't clear).