Join shapes

Previous topic - Next topic

PMP

Good morning,
I am relatively good with MS Office and Adobe software but I am new to Scribus, and Inkscape. 
I am using Scribus 1.5.8 on latest version of Windows 11 Home.
I have researched for an answer but the tutorials on YouTube are clear enough or using an older version of Scribus which I can't follow.
I am trying to join a semicircle shape created as a shape in Scribus with a rectangle created in Scribus so that I don't see the straight line between the two shapes.

Happy to be redirected to research my self as opposed to being handed a simple answer so I learn.
Thanking you
Peter

AdmFubar

Quote from: PMP on December 14, 2022, 01:56:00 AM
Good morning,
I am relatively good with MS Office and Adobe software but I am new to Scribus, and Inkscape. 
I am using Scribus 1.5.8 on latest version of Windows 11 Home.
I have researched for an answer but the tutorials on YouTube are clear enough or using an older version of Scribus which I can't follow.
I am trying to join a semicircle shape created as a shape in Scribus with a rectangle created in Scribus so that I don't see the straight line between the two shapes.

Happy to be redirected to research my self as opposed to being handed a simple answer so I learn.
Thanking you
Peter
Ok but lets make it simpler. You are building a a rectangle and a semi circle from scratch. No need to.
Using the the shape tool, draw a rectangle and a full circle and position them with the circle overlapping the rectangle as you have in your example.select both items, either by drawing a selection box around them or using ctrl + mouse click.
once they are selected in the drop down Item/Path Tools/Path Operations. Another dialog will be opened, and you can adjust how you want your shape to be merged together. Click ok once you have the parameters set to your liking.now comes the confusing part.. as it will look like nothing happened. Just click and hold to select and drag the copy of the new shape that is overlaid on your original selections and drag it away from there to see the combined shape. :)

UPDATE:  You can only join two shapes like this. and you cannot modify a shape with more path operations. at least not in 1.5.6. your version might allow it.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

PMP

@AdmFubar,
Thank you very much for your solution.
I eventually found how to access 'nodes' and deleted partial lines and moved nodes which did a job, but not as clean and precise as what your solution does.  I have deleted my original shapes and followed your advice.
Thanking you
Peter