Installing Scribus 1.4.8 in Mac OS X 10.6.8 in 2023

Previous topic - Next topic

dcr

Hello,

Is there anyway of installing Scribus 1.4.8 on a machine running Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) in 2023?

From the installation instructions, you need to first install Homebrew and the current version of Homebrew requires macOS 11 or higher.  I don't see a way of installing an older version of Homebrew.  Even a couple years ago, I couldn't install Homebrew on Snow Leopard.

There's Tigerbrew which is supposed to work for 10.4 (Tiger) through Snow Leopard, but that requires an older version of Xcode to match the OS which I think I have but, if I remember right, the last time I tried any of this, it didn't work out.

Is there maybe an easier way to install?  I have Scribus installed on a newer Mac, but I have some Snow Leopard machines and it would be nice to be able to use Scribus on them as well.  And it would be nice if it could be installed on Snow Leopard machines that are permanently offline.

Maybe it's not possible anymore, but thought I'd ask before giving up.

Thanks!

RodneyLee

Why? when 1.5.8 works great and has many more features

utnik

Quote from: RodneyLee on February 16, 2023, 01:55:12 PMWhy? when 1.5.8 works great and has many more features
the question is about installing scribus on an almost twenty year old operating system – 1.5.8 won't work...
...and there might not be an easy way to install 1.4.8 either...

utnik

a.l.e

ehehe

here you can find older scribus dmg:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus/

and according to this thread

https://forums.scribus.net/index.php?topic=227.0

i think that scribus 1.4.0 probably works on snow leopard (utnik dixit : - )

we are lucky that snow leopard is not 20 years old yet and only slightly older than the current stable release of scribus : - )
(this means that it should probably be possible to compile scribus 1.4.8 on a machine running snow leopard... if there is anybody in this world who has such a machine and the skills to compile scribus on mac : - )

utnik

hi ale

you're right. i mixed things up.
with my almost twenty years i was on os 10.4 (tiger).
but for 1.5.8 (rodneylee's suggestion) i still don't see the blue spot in the sky...

utnik

MrB

Utnik... if people are going to run those really old OSes, then they need to use old versions of Scribus. 1.5.x will not run on them. Sourceforge has all the old dmgs. For compilation, Macports is what I have always used as a start for dependency installation, see https://www.macports.org/install.php#installing, and you'd need a very old Qt and very old Xcode.

dcr

Will it work from the DMG or not?  On the downloads page on the Scribus site, it says the DMG is for Mountain Lion (10.8) or newer and that you need Homebrew Cask for Leopard (10.5) or higher, which suggests the DMG wouldn't work for Snow Leopard (10.6).

Last night, I didn't have the DMG handy, but I have a dual boot machine that has Snow Leopard and El Capitan.  Booting into Snow Leopard, I was able to run Scribus 1.4.8, except that it said I needed to install Ghostscript.

So, can it be that simple?  Just install Ghostscript and go?  Or might I run into unexpected problems?

Nermander

You don't need Ghostscript to use Scribus, it is only use for certain functions.

utnik

Quote from: dcr on February 17, 2023, 05:45:27 PM...Booting into Snow Leopard, I was able to run Scribus 1.4.8, except that it said I needed to install Ghostscript...
that's great news!
if you need ghostscript (i.e. to interpret .pdf files) then install it! otherwise just enjoy scribus...

utnik