can't install 1.4.8 on Mac Monterey

Previous topic - Next topic

Joy Hecht

I need to download scribus on a new computer - Macbook Air with M2 chip running Monterey (see first attached file):

I want to run version 1.4.8.  I have downloaded the dmg file, but when I try to install it I get this, and I can't install it (see second attached file):

I can (and have) installed version 1.5.8, but I am not a sophisticated scribus user and want to run a stable version of the software. 1.5.8 seems to be different from what I had on my old computer, and I don't want to have to deal with figuring out how it works. Plus it has already crashed once.

Does 1.4.8 not run on Monterey?  Is there some other reason why I can't install it? 

I'd appreciate any advice someone can provide!

utnik

hi joy hecht

32bit apps won't run under macOS10.15 and newer.
you should switch to scribus1.5.8.

utnik

Joy Hecht

Thank you!  How sad.  I am using 1.5.8, but it is different from 1.4.8 in many small ways, and it's driving me nuts!  Alas, I guess I'll have to deal with it.  :-(((

utnik

hi joy hecht

Quote from: Joy Hecht on November 13, 2022, 11:23:28 PM...I am using 1.5.8, but it is different from 1.4.8 in many small ways, and it's driving me nuts!...

one mayor change is the split of the properties palette in 'general properties' (f2) and 'content properties' (f3).
as soon as you get used to it, it will feel much better than the old one.

utnik

Joy Hecht

OHMYGOODNESS, I just wrote a really long post explaining in excrutiating detail the problem I'm having with 1.5.8.  The forum timed me out before I finished writing it, it does not automatically save, it doesn't warn when one's about to be timed out, and now the whole message is lost.  Eeeekk!!!

Oh well, that problem probably doesn't belong in the "installation" section of the forum.  Though perhaps you might have known how to fix it, since obviously you help people a lot here?  Well, I'll rewrite it later, and post it here and also in the forum section where it might belong (has to do with wrapping text around images, and contour boxes), and perhaps also put it here just in case you know the answer.

Thanks, utnik, on mentioning the two property boxes!  I had seen that, it's pretty straightforward.  There's also new menus for seeing the image when you upload it, getting the image, adjusting image to frame or frame to image, etc.  They aren't bad to deal with.  The wrapping around contour boxes is the problem at the moment.  Sigh...

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Joy Hecht

Hi again, utnik!  Just as well that my previous question got deleted - as I was recreating it, I figured out some of what the problem.  Now it's a totally different problem that I can work around, but that I think might be a bug in 1.5.8.  (Maybe a known bug?)

I posted it in the layout section, here - https://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,4440.0.html

Basically, it's weird stuff with the first word on the top line in a frame getting split across the first and second lines based on letter height, but only when you use automatic line spacing - not when you use fixed or align-to-grid line spacing. So if the first word is "and," you'd get "an" on the first line and "d" on the second line.  If the first word is "Path," you get "Pa" on the first line and "th" on the second.  Anything you've heard of?  Easily avoided by not using automatic line spacing, but it shouldn't do this!