Scribus > Raster and Vector Graphics

'Embed PDF & EPS Files' is permanently greyed out?

<< < (2/2)

toyotadesigner:
If you don't want to print your »carefully crafted PDF input file«, just don't import it. Simple as that.
Option: Rebuild your super-duper input form in Scribus, it shouldn't be too hard.

Read the label carefully: It says EXPERIMENTAL, which means the developers are still working on the feature.

If you don't like the status quo, rent an Adobe product or purchase an Affinity product.

Other than that, I can't help, because I am not a developer or support team member.

richardgriffin:

--- Quote from: toyotadesigner on September 11, 2022, 01:15:17 am ---If you don't want to print your »carefully crafted PDF input file«, just don't import it. Simple as that.
Option: Rebuild your super-duper input form in Scribus, it shouldn't be too hard.

--- End quote ---

My PDFs are railway track diagrams drawn in Inkscape, for a reference manual for my colleagues who (like me) are train drivers. There are no input forms or anything like that, just Bezier lines, simple shapes and text (labels), with some non-100% opacity where tracks cross one another on bridges.  My reference manual is basically built around my diagrams, so I can't just leave them out.

--- Quote ---Read the label carefully: It says EXPERIMENTAL, which means the developers are still working on the feature.

--- End quote ---

Oh, indeed. But despite being experimental, it worked fine for my humble needs n v1.5.5 (hundreds of copies of my book were printed)... hence my surprise that it has since stopped working, without any apparent documentation of the fact.

That is why I wonder what I must be doing wrong?  Especially as I can see that other folk *do* have the ability to tick this box in v1.5.8, e.g. https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=16492

a.l.e:
hi richard

from what i can judge from here, you seem to be missing a library/tool (ghostscript?)

but, if you want to have vector graphics in your pdf output you have to ways you can experiment with:

- import the PDFs as vectors instead of loading them into image frames
- import SVGs as vectors instead of using PDFs.

you can try both of them and check which one works better for you.

ciao
a.l.e

richardgriffin:

--- Quote from: a.l.e on September 11, 2022, 12:38:11 pm ---from what i can judge from here, you seem to be missing a library/tool (ghostscript?)

--- End quote ---

Thanks a.l.e for this. It certainly sounds like a plausible explanation. But when I've gone to check, ghostscript appears to be present and known about by Scribus (see 2 screenshots, from my command line and from Preferences > External Tools).  Does that look correct to you?

--- Quote ---but, if you want to have vector graphics in your pdf output you have to ways you can experiment with:

- import the PDFs as vectors instead of loading them into image frames
- import SVGs as vectors instead of using PDFs.

--- End quote ---

Hmm. I did already try both of those, but they each come with stark compromises compared to the "PDF in image frame, embedded and exported" method which used to work.

It does seem to me that getting THAT to work — or even, if it solves matters more simply, being able to run Scribus 1.5.5 on this Monterey Mac — would be the best option.  I couldn't run 1.5.5 when I tried it, as it instantly crashed because I didn't have Python 2.7 any more.  I installed Python 2.7 via MacPorts, but then it's not in the location that Scribus was looking for it, and even with _sudo_ I couldn't install a symlink to it... any workarounds for that?

Cheers,
Richard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version