Special characters not showing up in Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

legoaddict1949

Unicode symbol 266D (♭) will not appear in Scribus, whatever the font. Besides, I've made sure already that the symbol I want is contained in the font I am using, here Times New Roman (Regular). The symbol does appear in the Story Editor (Ctrl+T), though. In the actual document, however, it is replaced with a weirdly positioned empty square, as can be seen on the screenshot below. As already mentioned, the problem persists with whatever the font. It also persists regardless of whether the text is placed within a text frame or within a table cell, as is the case in my screenshot.

In case it matters, here's a bit of information on what I'm trying to achieve: I'm trying to make a flashcard set, and will probably be redoing this in the future, so I want to find a way to not have to bother dragging the image of a flat, sharp or natural sign every time I want it to appear on a flashcard.

I'm using Scribus version 1.5.6.1, which was installed using the APT package manager on Debian GNU/Linux 11 (Bullseye), amd64.

P.S. In case you Google it and find an identical question on Super User, yes, that was me too. The reason I'm asking here also is that I need those flashcards as soon as I can. Wherever I get an answer first, I will link to that answer in whatever forum and credit the author.

AdmFubar

You dont have a font that has that symbol in it. Check around there should be a suitable font somewhere on the net for you to use.try looking here for starters;https://fontlibrary.org/
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

legoaddict1949

Quote from: AdmFubar on September 07, 2022, 10:32:12 PM
You dont have a font that has that symbol in it. Check around there should be a suitable font somewhere on the net for you to use.try looking here for starters;https://fontlibrary.org/

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure how to interpret the two x's you placed in your post. As for whether the fonts I'm using contain the flat symbol, I'm pretty sure they do. It works in LibreOffice and all the other apps on my system using Times New Roman. Additionally, given that the flat shows up in the Story Editor (Ctrl+T) in Scribus, there must be a font present on my system that supports the symbol, or else it couldn't be displayed by the application.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your solution? I so, I apologise.

Thank you again, and looking forward to hearing back from you.

legoaddict1949

Quote from: AdmFubar on September 07, 2022, 10:32:12 PM
You dont have a font that has that symbol in it.

I have to apologise. You were right! Indeed I was using only fonts which did not have the flat symbol. When downloading the MuseScore fonts from the Github repos, I finally got it to work. Thank you so much!

AdmFubar

No apology  needed... it is easy to overlook  ;)
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

ivihy

I have the same problem by using the german character "ẞ".
I tried to test the character with the police I choose in libre office, and it works. However, when I write the character in scribus, I get this white square...
Thank you for your help !

legoaddict1949

Quote from: ivihy on September 14, 2022, 12:53:40 PM
I tried to test the character with the police I choose in libre office, and it works. However, when I write the character in Scribus, I get this white square...

Yes, that's because LibreOffice has a mechanism that finds a font that contains the "ß" character and uses that instead, although it doesn't tell you that it's a different font when you highlight it. (I know... pretty confusing.)

Conclusion: Find another font for either just the ß character or for the whole text you're using in Scribus, because the latter doesn't have that easy automatic replacement mechanism.

Cheers!