Howto handle images when inlined into my textfield

Previous topic - Next topic

TypoAlex

Hello
I start using Scribus now, I know many tools like Quark/Freehand/Indesign etc.

What I want to achieve:

- Images not placed "statically" on the page, instead "dynamically" floating with my text.

What I achieved so far:

1) Create a text box, put some example text.
2) Create image box, select any image into it
3) CUT (ctrl-x) the image box
4) put text cursor in some line of the example text
5) PASTE the image (ctrl-v)

=> I See the image is treated like a character and floats well with my text,

BUT:
* it has the height of 1 line (sure it is a character) and therefore covers upper lines
* EPIC FAIL: I cannot select the image anymore to resize etc. It is even not shown in the document structure anymore.

Why I want to achieve that?
Hundreds of pages; text and layout not statically defined, text parts associated to image, so I need locality between text and images.

I am afraid this feature is just not implemented (I use latest version 1.4.8 on PC)
Any plugin for that use case?

thanks for your support

RodneyLee

wonder if it works better on the more recent latest version 1.5.8? worth a try with a duplicate file

Nermander

I would suggest using another software if you want your contents to flow freely. Scribus is mainly designed as a page layout program (i.e. where you decide the design of each page), and while there are some workarounds I do not think it is optimal to use Scribus for such a document.

Have a go at for example Libre Office Writer.

Joop

Greatly depends on how you setup your source text. If you make each topic a separate textframe which is not coupled then you could insert in that frame a picture frame. Both stay together and can be shifted together to another place. Its a little more work, but this is how I work. So in the end you have a page frame with text frames and picture frames and in the text frames you have picture frames for supporting the topic in that particular text frame.

zacl

Inline image works well now in 1.5.8.
To resize an inline image you have to double click on it. A new windows open where you can modify the image size. After closing this windows, the image is updated in the text.
An excellent tutorial is here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bdQNEVEtDo

If you copy an inline image and paste it in another line or another text frame, they share the same size info (they address the same image object).
So if you modify the size for one of them, all are updated.
There is just a small bug at the moment it finish by breaking the path information to the image : https://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,4471.msg20535.html